Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
dimensions: 13x13x21 in
lighting: 2 clip on desk lamps each running a 26w 65k screw in bulb (3.25 wpg)
filtration: AC 30
substrate: ADA AS amazonia
will dose excel daily
DIY co2 when i get plants

pulled the tank and stand out of the attic the other day and decided to set it up. added a bottom and top shelf to the stand which is open on one side. mounted a power strip in there too.

as it sits right now:

stand with shelfs:

layout plans:

plants i got comin in the mail:
30+ leaves of needle leaf java (dark green)
20+ leaves of narrow leaf java (lime green)
3 golfballs of fissidens fontanus (teal)
1 golfball of java moss (teal)

fauna plans:
1 pitbull pleco
4-6 pygmy cory
couple amano shrimp
lots of rcs
nerite snails

need a schooling fish that will stay in the mid to upper levels of the tank. as you can see not all that much swimming space. id like a small group of glass cats but ive read they need room to swim. any ideas?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the little booklet that came with the ADA AS said not to wash it bc it would wash out the dirt or something like that. i didn't wash it, but im concerned that in a week when im digging gravel up to get the wood under the substrate ill mess something up with the aquasoil. should i be worrying?

i didn't put the wood in and pour the gravel around it bc when i get all my narrow leaf java in im gonna be tieing a lot of it to the wood, which is way easier with the wood out of the tank than in place.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Don't worry about digging in the gravel. They expect you to plant your stuff. It will be fine. Just know you will have an ammonia cycle to handle with the ADA A.S.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Neat looking tank. I can't wait to see it when it's planted. Have you found a schooling fish yet? I was thinking a school of cardinal tetras would look nice, but I'm not sure about their space requirements. I have some red serpae tetras that school well in the middle portion, but they are agressive toward the 'weaker link' in the school, so I always have one that is on the brink of death. :(

-Dave

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't worry about digging in the gravel. They expect you to plant your stuff. It will be fine. Just know you will have an ammonia cycle to handle with the ADA A.S.
how long do you think it will take to cycle? should i be testing the ammonia levels daily? i put some gravel from another tank along with some AC underneath the ADA AS. also floating a biowheel in there from another filter.

as for the schooling fish i think im gonna go with boraras brigittae :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got the plants in after 2 hrs of long hard work. not sure if im satisfied thought. i wanted fissidens fontanus but i think i got fissidens sp. not sure though.

ada aquasoil leaves the water crystal clear at first fill up, but if you move it after its been in the water a while its almost as bad as flourite...:(

and my freaking driftwood still floats! the tank is too small to maneuver the substrate out of the way, jam the wood down into the substrate and cover it back up to keep it down. idk what to do to hold it down... its real annoying. any ideas?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its not fissidens like the guy said. i got my money back so its all good.

the java moss i have is actually really pretty and frondy unlike most stuff ive seen. looks almost like peacock moss imo:

wtf is up with my water guys. this is the first time i filled it up, substrate was just poured in and then the tank was filled.

and this is after a 50% water change the other day and then a 90% water change today. i ran a hose into my room and clipped it over a plate, turned it up to a trickle and let the tank fill in the span of a little over 2 hrs and its still this cloudy...

·
Registered
151 Posts
i would let it go for a couple of days and see what happens I'm not an expert but usually when my tanks go cloudy which is often due to the water i have in my apt it usually clears up it could have been crap in the hose could be crap stirred up in the sub straight if you have your room lights on and the tank light off and the water looks slightly green then you have alge bloom going on which can happen on new tanks i have also gone through that a million and a half times

1 - 20 of 55 Posts