Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I think you have a good start here. If you're using a stock hood, that comes with the tank you don't have much light. You could grow some different types of Java ferns and anubias. There are several types and sizes. Mosses would be a nice addition. Some mosses grow up, some out, some weep.

I do believe your sword will get big. Very few stay small. I can't tell what kind you have.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
You're certainly improving as you go along. This is a nice start but you could use more in the way of a mid-ground on the right. Java fern windelov or narrow leaf, some of the various Anubias (minima, nana, nana petite), and shorter Cryptocorynes (especially bronze or red wendtii) would work nicely. Having layers of plants helps make the tank look deeper and creates more interest.

I like the looks of your fish, what all do you have?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
tex gal my hood isn't stock just looks I'm still working on it here is an up to date pic

and cs gardner i have one kenyi one electric blue johanni my electric blue and kenyi breed so i have two mix and the gold one is a gold malawi and i have one african rope fish who hides in the skull he is 14 and a half inches long

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
believe it or not the only time the fish are aggressive is when i move to many plants around the skull is home to a 14 inch african rope fish who i was told was an aggressive fish to later find out hes not so even though I'm not a fan of the skull until i come up with something better it has to stay

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Great job with your light!!! I'm impressed!! You are doing a great job there. I gotta say I thought the same thing about the skull. LOL - a skull with a "snake" in it. How appropriate! Maybe you could tie moss on it so it looks like a mound bush. Maybe your rope fish wouldn't mind.

(Just don't think I could stick my hand in a tank with a 14" rope fish in there. I've had dreams where I had fish tanks with big gross eels in there, afraid to do maintenance! LOL)

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I like the contrast the wendtii brings to your tank. Now they just need to fill in. Your fish are looking great and I hope they will continue to show minimal aggression.

I've become a fan of flame moss, it grows quite easily and has a fairly neat upright growth habit. I got mine on the FS/T forum here and it was a decent price and generous quantity. I also have Taiwan moss and it looks good when it's happy but it has a tendency to try an spread into places where I don't want it.

If you wanted to do something instead of the skull it's easy to silicon some inert rocks together to make a cave. I'm not certain what a rope fish looks for in a home but you could build to suit and then attach ferns, anubias, or moss to it. I collected some local rocks, checked with acid to make certain they wouldn't change my water quality, and then played around with them until I got the size and shapes I wanted to make multiple caves for my kribs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i also think you should get a bigger tank for the cichlids. Unless you dont have any breeding pairs, they're going to get aggressive. They'll also uproot your plants when they dig holes to lay eggs.

reflectors would be nice in your hood. reflective mylar also works.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
money is to tight for a bigger tank the aggression is very very minimal there is a breeding pair in the tank and they stay to the right side in the little rock setup i have over there i added the reflector over the weekend using flashing that is commonly used for siding houses and it seems to be working very well within a half hour after adding it i noticed the plants began to pearl and pearl all day long

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Wow, that sword got big in a hurry. What happened to the stem plants in the back toward the right? I liked how they filled in that area.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i went through a bad bba break out it got so bad i couldn't save the hornwort. i have some growing in my ten gallon waiting till it gets nice and bushy befor i put it in the twenty nine i should also be setting up my 55 within a week so i gotta get something growing nice for that the sword is definitely gonna get moved to that hopefully i will have enough hornwort at that point to redo the twenty nine

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I have to admit, I like the skull. It would look cool with some Flame moss coming out the eye sockets (maybe tie some to a couple large pebbles or small chips of driftwood that would fit into the sockets) . :-k I would totally hook you up with Flame Moss, but you'd be on your own to find something to tie it to.

-Dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to admit, I like the skull. It would look cool with some Flame moss coming out the eye sockets (maybe tie some to a couple large pebbles or small chips of driftwood that would fit into the sockets) . :-k I would totally hook you up with Flame Moss, but you'd be on your own to find something to tie it to.

-Dave
Dave i live in the in the sticks i got streams and a rock query around the corner from me I'm sure i could find something in a heart beat. The idea of flame moss coming out of the eyes sounds real good. I picked up a bunch of hygro sunset tonight off of jimbo205. I am gonna use it to replace the sword when i move it to the fifty five.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts