Aquatic Plant Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Good work there, grim. I love the way the Sword shot up. What changed?

Also, can you please share how you constructed the light. It was a fluorescent fixture, I assume. I have a 36" twin fluorescent fixture that I'd like to convert to a CFL fixture.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
here is the link for the lights. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ects/45208-diy-mod-perfecto-10-gal-light.html I have noticed that everyone has different results with the lights. The only thing that changed from the last picture was my photo period. It used to be almost 16 hours cause i would turn the lights on when i got up then shut em off when i went to bed. Now there on no longer than nine hours on a timer. So I'm going to assume the longer rest period helped with the growth. The only thing i did different from hoppy was i used flashing that i cut into strips then used a high strength heat resistant glue to attach it to the fixture.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like the skull too. Usually I am not into aquarium statues/figurines as decoration but the skull seems to fit well with the tank.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I like the skull too. Usually I am not into aquarium statues/figurines as decoration but the skull seems to fit well with the tank.
Thanks fishfan soon there will be flame moss coming out of the eyes thanks to davemonkey so we will see how that goes. The next pic will be completely different since i removed the sword today.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hey grim,
Can't wait to see the skull in a month.:hippie: Let's see what type of hair he grow. :D

regards,
Ravi

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
You DID IT!!!! That's gonna look so cool! :cool: I can't wait to see how it looks after the moss starts growing up.

Good luck with the blyxa. When I first got it, it went through a melty phase, but then started growing very well. I'm not certain what changed in my tank, but it suddenly stopped growing and just dividing itself into smaller portions without growing at all. I think my water is just too hard right now. Once I get moved to Houston I'll try again.

-Dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OK well its about time to update this i have been having some personal issues so the tanks were neglected for almost two months i have however had some excellent growth on a few plants the moss on the skull has been a little trickier considering the cichlids like to tear the moss apart but the moss is growing fairly fast so that is a plus when i took the pictures the cichlids has knocked over my piece of driftwood so please excuse the mess in the tank soon i will be able to get fully back into trying to grow plants thanks again for looking

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
grim, it is looking good.

Hey Buddy, thanks for sticking around.

It is you and the really cool people on APC that make this hobby what it should be.

I can't wait someday to see your aquariums and auto shop someday.

I am glad to know that your shoulder is doing better.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
grim, how do we get you a p3t nowadays?

When I see a hungry one, I feed them ice cream.

Now back to Aquatic Plants. :smile:

·
Registered
930 Posts
You have 4 Cichlids in your tank?

I am amazed, for I have been told I can't have cichlids in a planted tank. Do they ever did up your plants?

What plants do you have?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
there is five cichlids and they only dig under the rocks they make there own caves its nice the only plants they mess with is moss don't know why its only the moss but that is the only plant i am constantly tying down as for plants i got one crypt that i cant id i cant get a pic of it now as i am in NC but when i get home ill post it i got red crypt wendentii the giant anubias dwarf sag flame moss provided by davemonkey something that was sold to my as crypt spirals a ruffle sword and java moss as i said they don't tear up to much they arnt that aggressive in my tank sometimes they get going and break a couple of stems but i kinda expect that i have had cichlids for many many years this tank has been going for over a year now with the same fish so honestly i don't expect much to go wrong

·
Registered
930 Posts
Could it be that, as with Betta fish, that some Cichlids are temperamental and tear up plants and some don't?

What do you do with your tank when you go on vacation?

When I go on vacation I come back to algae bloom or dead fish. So if this happens again I am going to thin my tank out and do something like you have.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
the cichlids that i chose are not as aggressive as say a convict if you notice the first pic i have when the tank first started you'll see two convicts they didn't last long in the tank they were so aggressive i thought i was going to have to trade them in but in the end they both ended up messing with the gold Malawi and well that was there demise the gold Malawi is the queen of the tank always has been always will be when i go on vaca like i am on now i have my father come over and feed the fish all ferts stop the lights are on a timer so he only has to put in a few pellets into the tank and yes i always have alage currently it will be two months before my tanks get touched by me so im expecting chaos when i get back i wasn't able to use my left arm for a month and now i am on vaca for a month so we will see what happens as of right now i got a thread going its called how much algae can you grow it'll show you what is going on in the fifty five gallon i got set up in our spare bedroom honestly algae is a part of my life i don't mind fighting it and i think its part of healthy growth of a tank the amount i have may be an eyesore but its not like its going to kill everything in my tank it might hurt some of the plants but in the end they will come back when i get back from vaca i should have full use of my arm so i will be able to handle everything then

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
OK so i got a new cam its a cannon g10 so far i have very basic things figured out so i figured i would post some of the pics of the fish in my 29 gallon i hope you all enjoy
this pic is of my kenyi johanni mix

this pic is of my kenyi hes a little shy

and this is the pic of the gold malawi that i have named retard i mean just look at him

this is the only pic i could get of my electric blue johanni she is very very shy

and this is the giant Anubias that has flowered twice in my tank

21 - 40 of 76 Posts