Aquatic Plant Forum banner

my 29 gallon

20K views 75 replies 17 participants last post by  davemonkey 
#1 ·
this is my 29 gallon i have no clue what I'm doing please tell me what you think

and this is how it looked the very first day i got any plants

See less See more
#29 ·
You DID IT!!!! That's gonna look so cool! :cool: I can't wait to see how it looks after the moss starts growing up.

Good luck with the blyxa. When I first got it, it went through a melty phase, but then started growing very well. I'm not certain what changed in my tank, but it suddenly stopped growing and just dividing itself into smaller portions without growing at all. I think my water is just too hard right now. Once I get moved to Houston I'll try again.

-Dave

#30 ·
OK well its about time to update this i have been having some personal issues so the tanks were neglected for almost two months i have however had some excellent growth on a few plants the moss on the skull has been a little trickier considering the cichlids like to tear the moss apart but the moss is growing fairly fast so that is a plus when i took the pictures the cichlids has knocked over my piece of driftwood so please excuse the mess in the tank soon i will be able to get fully back into trying to grow plants thanks again for looking

#33 ·
grim, it is looking good.

Hey Buddy, thanks for sticking around.

It is you and the really cool people on APC that make this hobby what it should be.

I can't wait someday to see your aquariums and auto shop someday.

I am glad to know that your shoulder is doing better.

#34 ·
grim, how do we get you a p3t nowadays?

When I see a hungry one, I feed them ice cream.

Now back to Aquatic Plants. :smile:

#35 · (Edited)
You have 4 Cichlids in your tank?

I am amazed, for I have been told I can't have cichlids in a planted tank. Do they ever did up your plants?

What plants do you have?

#37 ·
there is five cichlids and they only dig under the rocks they make there own caves its nice the only plants they mess with is moss don't know why its only the moss but that is the only plant i am constantly tying down as for plants i got one crypt that i cant id i cant get a pic of it now as i am in NC but when i get home ill post it i got red crypt wendentii the giant anubias dwarf sag flame moss provided by davemonkey something that was sold to my as crypt spirals a ruffle sword and java moss as i said they don't tear up to much they arnt that aggressive in my tank sometimes they get going and break a couple of stems but i kinda expect that i have had cichlids for many many years this tank has been going for over a year now with the same fish so honestly i don't expect much to go wrong

#38 · (Edited)
Could it be that, as with Betta fish, that some Cichlids are temperamental and tear up plants and some don't?

What do you do with your tank when you go on vacation?

When I go on vacation I come back to algae bloom or dead fish. So if this happens again I am going to thin my tank out and do something like you have.

#39 ·
the cichlids that i chose are not as aggressive as say a convict if you notice the first pic i have when the tank first started you'll see two convicts they didn't last long in the tank they were so aggressive i thought i was going to have to trade them in but in the end they both ended up messing with the gold Malawi and well that was there demise the gold Malawi is the queen of the tank always has been always will be when i go on vaca like i am on now i have my father come over and feed the fish all ferts stop the lights are on a timer so he only has to put in a few pellets into the tank and yes i always have alage currently it will be two months before my tanks get touched by me so im expecting chaos when i get back i wasn't able to use my left arm for a month and now i am on vaca for a month so we will see what happens as of right now i got a thread going its called how much algae can you grow it'll show you what is going on in the fifty five gallon i got set up in our spare bedroom honestly algae is a part of my life i don't mind fighting it and i think its part of healthy growth of a tank the amount i have may be an eyesore but its not like its going to kill everything in my tank it might hurt some of the plants but in the end they will come back when i get back from vaca i should have full use of my arm so i will be able to handle everything then

#40 ·
OK so i got a new cam its a cannon g10 so far i have very basic things figured out so i figured i would post some of the pics of the fish in my 29 gallon i hope you all enjoy
this pic is of my kenyi johanni mix

this pic is of my kenyi hes a little shy

and this is the pic of the gold malawi that i have named retard i mean just look at him

this is the only pic i could get of my electric blue johanni she is very very shy

and this is the giant Anubias that has flowered twice in my tank

#44 ·
the right front corner is a ruffle sword and there is actualy two plants on the left front they were sold to me as dwarf sag that is as high as they get from what i have seen if you want one dave i would be more than willing to send you one of the sags since you sent me some flame moss which has exploded and is now in three of my four tanks

Your tank is looking very nice. It's filled in well and has a good mix of plants.
thank you very much for the compliment cs

#46 ·
Grim, photos look great!

(How long did it take you to upload your whole memory chip to photobucket and paste here? I am sure it takes longer depending on how many photos you have on the chip.)

Grim, if the signature/thread feature still works here on APC like it used to - I look forward to a bunch of threads on all your tanks soon. :smile:

#48 ·
i am using diy co2 sugar/yeast mix and yes that is a common pleco when he gets bigger he will be moved to my 55 gallon then when he out grows that he will go to my buddies 150 gal and so on. and thank you for the compliments plant^nut

thank you for the compliments as well jim since my comp is fairly fast it only takes a min or two to load pics i think the longest it took was 3 and a half minutes at 1000 pics

#52 ·
since my comp is fairly fast it only takes a min or two to load pics i think the longest it took was 3 and a half minutes at 1000 pics
Okay. I guess I just have to give this a shot again and see how long it takes me.
I never used to think about it.
I just assumed that since maintaining my tanks takes most of my Saturday that taking more time on the computer would, well - take more time.

I'll give it a shot.

You know that means you will have to come over again so we can learn together all the cool settings on these cool digital cameras to take the best picture. :wink:

#50 ·
thank you tex gal for the compliment sadly the rope fish jumped ship and my wife found her in the bathroom coiled up on the floor she screamed rather loud i wont lie it was funny but i am currently looking for another one to see if it will live in skull as of now the current resident of the skull is the johanii i also lost the kenyi yesterday she had spooked herself one morning and slammed into the the glass she wasn't swimming to well i moved her to my ten gallon to see if she would recover and in about three days she stopped eating and then died i was even trying to get her to eat frozen food with a small eye dropper

#53 ·
Some cameras don't need any adjusting to get a good picture. What camera are you using? To learn more about it you can google it.

#55 ·
Tex gal i spent five hours in front of the fifty five tonight waiting for a special fish that you might like to come out and finally before i packed up the cam he came out even got a pic of the females nose waiting for a small guppy to swim by so even though this isn't in my 29 i still got a breading pair in my house lol up first will be the female

and now for the male

they are both peacock eels and as of right now they are 8 and a half inches long i have owned them for about nine months

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.