Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my 5.5 gallon nano tank, is a low-tech tank.

Some stats

Current Stock:
1 CT betta
4 oto's

Filteration:
Elite stingray 5 internal filter (ugh hate internal, might change it later, good filter though)

Heating:
Elite HOB 25w heater

Ferts:
Weekly tetra florapride for now, might upgrade to better ferts later

CO2:
None now, might DIY later or nutrafin kit

Substrate:
Small gravel (not sure on size but couldn't find any small bag of eco-complete

Lighting:
one 10w cp bulb (wal-mart type, lfs was out of all-glass aquarium type, will buy one of those when they get them)

Plants:
1 crypt
Cambomba
Moneywort
Unsure on others, possible sword, hygro

Current picture, plants were just stuck in there for the time being, changing them today.

any comments, suggestions, critizism are welcomed.

atm

Attachments

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Not a bad start! It looks good. I would look into some anubias nanas petites, or maybe a low foreground type plant like HC (if it will root). These two plants will make it a little easier to maintain, with little to no trimming for a long while. With your current plant selection, I imagine trimming is quite frequent in a short tank like a 5 gallon.

Maybe adjusting the rocks in a "V" shape, so they open up the tank a bit more in terms of depth, and eye movement. Other than that it looks pretty good. Pack it with plants! ;)

-John N.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I'm on the lookout for some anubias, though HM? The trimming isn't too bad yet though it's only been up for a few days. Ya I changed it a little, will post some pictures soon.

thanks for the comments and suggestions, I changed the rocks a little and it does open up the tank, had to put my favorite rock in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya i'v noticed that too, it's annoying, I think I might move it into the back where it'l be hidden or put in my floating thermometer, will look into a digital one though. I might get a HOB filter too, not sure what type yet, think one with a adjustable flow, will post pics of the updated setup as soon as possible.

thanks for the comments, their greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think he labeled that picture as "tubing at top right going into filter for diffusion" so the gravel you see is probably in the tank :D

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Good plant growth. Now I think you need to replant more stems of each plant to get a denser cluster of plants in the tank. Right now it looks a bit sparse, but the plants look pretty healthy and you should be able to get some clippings to replant from them in no time! ;)

-John N.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks

Ya it's hard to see because this is a crappy camera but I regrouped the cambomba in the back left corner just waiting for them to grow. The rotala is growing well and made three other plants whatever you call them and I'm going to cut them soon and replant them, the moneywort is slowgrowing and same with one of the types of cambomba I have. I might get some more plants soon. I'm hoping to get a new hood too this weekend to give more light and more even plant growth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.