Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't happy with my old 55 gallon iwagumi, so I moved some stuff around while keeping essentially the same rock positioning and plants. I like the resulting layout more than my old one, though I'd welcome any comments. Details about the tank are listed below. Thanks for letting me share.

Aquarium / All-Glass 55 gal W48xD13xH21 (in) / 208 L W122xD32XH53 (cm)
Lighting / DIY AHsupply.com Kits, 2x 55W 7800K PC, 2x 13W 10000K, 2x variable white cold cathode
Filtration / Eheim 2217 Classic
Substrate / Quickrete All-Purpose Sand
Hardscape / "Sierra Madre" stones
CO2 / Pressurized, PVC in-line reactor,knockoff ADA bubble counter at 4 bubbles per second
Fertilizer / EI Estimative Index
Water Changes / Once a week 50% tap water
Water Conditions / Water temperature: 77 degrees Fahrenheit / 25 degrees Celsius, pH: 6.5

Plants
- Hemianthus Callitrichoides
- Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae
- Eleocharis Vivipara

Fauna
- Sundadanio Axelrodi 'Blue'
- Otocinclus Affinis
- Caridina Multidentata
- Gyraulus sp., Physa fontinalis, Planorbarius corneus (snails)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks Great, How long did it take to get it looking this nice?
Thanks algaehater, I started the tank in May 08 and it was pretty much "done" by September 08. It took me a while to find the fish though, no one seems to carry them in my area.

If you're interested, here is a picture of the tank right after planting in May 08:

And here it is in September 08 before adding fish:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Really beautiful :)

Just one comment : in my opinion, the curves (drawn by the plantation) are too linear and a bit too "clean" and parallel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think it's hard to get the curves right as you only have so much space with which to work. You could probably play with it all day and not get it any better. It looks great. We all search for the perfect design but "beauty is in the eyes of the holder".

·
Registered
206 Posts
i have been wanting to buy stones from ada, but i live in a hill in the pacifc in mexico, i just went yesterday to look for stones around my house and i found those the same stones for free, they are calc free, and nice shaped stones.
i 'm planing to make a igua gumi arrangement, i will post pics to show...
by the way nice nice aquarium.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments voultou, xavierj123, hedson_25

I think it's hard to get the curves right as you only have so much space with which to work. You could probably play with it all day and not get it any better. It looks great. We all search for the perfect design but "beauty is in the eyes of the holder".
That's pretty much it. I tried to soften the transition with some dwarf hairgrass but there was too little space for it to grow to make a difference.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Beautiful tank, Ken.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow this tank is beautiful!!!!!! Something I think I would like to do with my 55g tank.

How do you like your light? I'm thinking of getting maybe AHsupply.

Oh and what are all those white spots in the final photo all over the rocks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments thief.

How do you like your light? I'm thinking of getting maybe AHsupply.
The AHsupply lights have been good to me, though I wish they used the bulbs with the more ubiquitous square pin ( :: ) connection rather than the straight pin ( .... ) connections so that I could try different kelvin bulbs. The 7800k bulbs they sell are pretty nice though. They also have a pretty hassle free warranty for their kits.

Oh and what are all those white spots in the final photo all over the rocks.
Those are the snails I have crawling all over my tank :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks houseofcards.

Here is my tank with the overgrown vivipara, I really hate maintaining the stuff:

Here it is after I've run a comb over the Vivipara. This is how it usually looks, trimming all the individual tips takes way too long. I only do that when I want a nicer photo:

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
After reading about the comb it reminded me of the a thread I read somewhere...

You know you're a plant geek if...
...you comb your aquarium plants.

Beautiful tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After reading about the comb it reminded me of the a thread I read somewhere...

You know you're a plant geek if...
...you comb your aquarium plants.

Beautiful tank.
Hah, I guess I'm a plant geek then, though I don't know if that's something I should be proud of. Combing my plants. It is pretty strange I guess. Imagine if you saw someone doing that with their terrestrial plants. Anyway, thanks for the compliment Tex Gal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts