Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year(around the time I joined APC), in November, I bought a 5G Hex. It's been through it's phases and wasn't that great...but now it's back up and really to kick some butt!! It's for My Betta and Shrimp(I'm going to make it a forest first before I add them so they won't be eaten and can get away from the betta). I still do have to buy a new heater and thermometer...but It's up and running fine now....It's got 2WPG and Eco-Complete for the plants....so anyways, Heres the list:
Fauna:
1 M Betta
**SooN** 5+ RCS

Flora:
Giant Hygro
2 Crypts
1 Java Fern Windelov
**SooN** Watersprite, Java Moss, and Dwarf Hairgrass

Here's the latest picture(s):

Here's the betta:

Hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a scare yesterday! The betta was resting on his side on the bottom, then was found sleeping on the filter. So far, I've done 2 50% WC's and am trying to keep him alvive. He's doing great now though....Since this tank is going to be a jungle type tank, with an assortment of plants, I might replace the Giant Hygro with Sunset Hygro and add an Anubias "Coffefolia". This tank should be REALLY pretty when it's done!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I guess I've benn alittle late updating this! I got some plants from a fellow fish hobbiest and planted them the day they arrived. I switched out the Crypt for a Bannana Plant and added Java moss...and, The Giant Hygro got thrown in my 29G. The plants I got were Red Root Floater, Duckweed (to be moved to the 50G Pond), A Lilaeopsis Peice, and Sunset Hygro. The tank looks really good and the betta is happy!
Here is the new picture:

Here's the current Stocking:
Flora
--Sunset Hygro [Hygrophila 'Sunset']
--Brazilian Microsword [Lilaeopsis brasiliensis]
--Java Fern 'Windelov' [Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov']
--Java Moss [Vesicularia dubyana ]
--Bannana Plant--Replaced C. Wentti "Red"-- [Nymphoides aquatica]
--Duckweed [Lemna 'Minor']
--Red Root Floater [Phyllanthus fluitans]

Fauna:
--1 Male Crowntail Betta [Betta Splendens "Crowntail"]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi!
It looks nice, I'd only suggest you to get the log a little bit inclined, I think it will look a little bit more harmonious.

And take the Nynphoides bananas out of the soil, they might get rot if you burrow them.

See ya!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled the bannana out of the soil to where just it's roots are in and it was growing new bannanas! I've definately got to add some more plants to fill in but I'm out of money...so the tank will look alittle bear right now until I can get more plants.

I don't know what your saying about the driftwood?

·
Registered
45 Posts
He means tilt the driftwood into a more natural position. It looks like a totem-pole sticking straight up right now. :) If you let it slant a little, it'd look more natural and "harmonious" as Lucs said.

You could try tying some moss on the driftwood too, for added interest.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This tank went through a series of unfourtionate evens regarding algae, so I took it down and put those plants in my 29gal. My betta now lives in a planted 2.5gal MiniBow.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your nice reply! Yeah, It was hard to scape....but I did manage to setup another 5gal..I'll start a new journal for that one later...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts