Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around here for a while but just recently started posting.
And now my first real post. Here are some old pics of my 92G corner tank in my living room.

To give you a clear look at the hardscape here is a pic I took not to long after I filled it.....maybe a week into the cycle.
First there's a lower level with a cave in the center that goes all the way to the back corner and up like a chimney.
Then the second level with two caves, one on each side and a final third level before the lava rock slopes up almost to the surface of the water.

These were takin in august:

And here is a night shot taken with just an 18w strip on in the back corner of the tank.

Since the last photos I grew tired of how my glosso was growing in, it started to get far to long so I took most of it up.
As you can see in this recent photo.....it's starting to fill in again.
(a months growth)
The tank still needs some work......gotta add some more Eco.....it settled quite a bit. That is gonna be messy.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Wow! I've lurked a bit at Aquarium advice and have seen your tank over there. It is the perfect fish paradise:p The cave is so cool!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
That tank looks fantastic. I'm amazed at the tanks you guys (and girls) here can create. I really like the way you have the rocks built up.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the compliments u guys.

are the rocks glued in place..
Yes the rocks are siliconed in place.....making the hardscape structurally sound took forever! I always get impatient toward the end of a project. It's all I can do to not rush through the end.

One question though, can the fish ever get accidentally trapped in the caves?
The caves are extensive, especially the one at the front center.
But no I don't see how they could possibly get stuck in any of them.
The main cave is really the only one that the fish use. The shrimp have taken over the other two caves.
I used PVC to form the main cave as you can see here:

And Bert.........it's Aromatica

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good job! It looks better an better. The L. aromatica gives a special distinction to the tank. My only comment regards the isolated two green stems in the left front (Lindernia rotundifolia? Bacopa monnieri?) - I believe they distract the attention from the nice plants in the background.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Really nice looking tank. Corner tanks are hard to scape, but when you do it right, the added depth really looks nice. I'm curious what kind of light you have over top? I can tell that you have the classic problem with corners in that all of the stems are leaning in toward the center where the light is, but IMHO that's not a bad thing because it focuses your attention. Any ways, nice job, but I agree with Intros that the bacopa looks slightly out of place. Otherwise, congrats!

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's funny .........I just cut back that bacopa yesterday.
Only 2 very short stems remain there.

The lighting was tougher then I thought it would be. This was the first corner tank I had attempted. I knew there would be dark areas with just one strip but I didn't realize how dark.
At first I had just a 360w 48" strip across the front two corners but the back rock slope and third level were all shadows.
Now I've got an 9" 18w strip in the very back. Which I use as a dusk and dawn light.
Then in the middle I have an 96w 20" strip and my main light is a 48" 384w strip.
I'm finally happy with the lighting at this point.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Glitch--

I really loved it the original way....that "evening" picture was simply wonderful! For now, the tank is very......vanilla in my opinion. But who knows....perhaps you are thinking about the end result before I can see it! ;)

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know what you mean Don. I loved the hardscape and everything about the original layout but, it just all fell apart and I would have needed to drain the tank to rebuild it again. I still have the 9w light in the back and IMO the tank looks it's best with only that shining. I'll post some night shots soon.

Kris - I just got some real nice Ludwigia arcuata from Roy Deki. That's over on the right side, when that grows in I'll post another set.

Thx for the compliments everyone. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts