Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, ok, this is thread serves no real purpose other than two vent a little frustration.
My 1 gallon hex:
Plants: Creeping Jenny, Pearl Weed, Glosso, Riccia, Dwarf Hair Grass. (No latin plants at all, hehe. Im Latin-free! except I married one. A latin that is, not a plant.
Substrate: Eco Complete
Lighting: 13 Watt PC, 6500K
Seachem Flourish line of ferts (Flourish, Excel, Iron, Nitogen, Potasium) about 1 drop each, twice a week, except for Excel (one drop a day for that)
CO2: Flourish excel, running about 16ppm.
Water changes: 30% twice a week.

Plant status:
Creeping Jenny: seems to be growing fine, thought the leaves at the bottom are yellow. I suspect light deficiency, but I can live with it, the rest of the plant is fine.
Riccia: amazing growth, limited pearling though.
Hair Grass: Its alive, its green, but not spreading well. I have it in two clumps, and suspect I need to break it apart some more to allow it to spread.
Glosso: I dont get this stuff. How in the heck do people plant it nicely? Look, I may be a tad clumsy, but getting those tiny roots into the substrate is a pain. It looks, well, haphazard. A third of it is barely touching the substrate. Ah well, it seems to be growing ok, a bit of algea.
Pearlweed (Hemanthius Micranthemoides): It is covered in hair algea! well, about 25% covered. Ironically, it is this same Pearl Weed that is pearling the most, but considering the layer of algea, I'm not even sure if its the plant or the algea that is pearling, hehe.

Any suggestions on: Planting Glosso effectively
Algea control. What water parameter do I need to measure to help figure out my problem? And why would the pearlweed have all the algea, while the rest of the plants are nearly untouched by it?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
We need to know your PH, KH, N03 & P04 readings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My guess would be a nutrient imbalance. My tanks are slowly but surely getting algae free. My 29g still has some hair algae but nothing like three months ago. My 18g is spotless. So just give it some time and check your water paremeters.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The easiest way to plant glosso is with forceps. Eco can be hard to plant small stuff in. I have my Eco mixed with black sand for this reason. Not much trouble getting things to stay in the substrate with the sand in there.

Is your pearlweed getting shaded by other plants in the tank? Is it a new addition to the tank? These could be factors as to why only the pearlweed is getting algae.

To eliminate the algae you need to make sure you do not run out of any of your macros, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, or Potassium. I don't see any mention of phosporous additions to the tank other than what's in the Flourish. You may want to check the levels of the 3 macros above and make sure you have enough of each in your tank.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do plant the glosso with forceps, but I don't have any fine grain sand in there. I guess a cup of black moon sand in a light layer on top of the eco-complete might help, thanks for that.

Parameters: pH 7.5, GH8, KH5, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5 or less (barely registering), phosphate: tough to read this dang test, somewhere between .1 and .5ppm.
So I guess this means a macro deficiency, heh? I dose Flourish nitrogen twice a week, and Flourish phospate once a week already, perhaps I need to increase this dosage. I am getting ready to put a few cherry shrimp in there, perhaps I need to go easy on fert increases until I can examine the impact of this bioload increase. Thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts