Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Cute pup! Where did you get him?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Awww, he's a cutie! :)

What breed is he?

I wonder if he'll be as much "fun" as Boris, our Doberman was when he was a pup?? :shock: LOL! They sure have a way of keeping you on your toes.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
He's a mutt, small dog. Will be around 20 pounds when full grown. He is quite the little terror. They told me he was house broken... they lied! I got him off of craigs list
Eek! Cleaning doggie surprises is no fun. Good luck with the 'housebreaking'.

I was lied to as well when I got my dog (rescued from the pound...on the day he was scheduled for the juice). They said he was a "lab-mix" . HA! He looks more like a pit-bull to me than anything else now that he's grown up (about 40 lbs) . Oh well, he's still a mutt, and mutt's are the best dogs ever! (IMHO.) :D

-Dave

·
Registered
406 Posts
Congratulations Robert!

Dogs do not have our type of "intelligence" but they learn faster than we do, the only problem is they never forget anything. They are learning from us even when we think they might be resting while we go about our business and they do not deal well with change as a result.

Housebreaking can be quite simple. If you do not have a good cage get one that is appropriate for the size he is now. The dog goes in the crate (crates by the way are not punishment and should not be used as such, a crate is a good thing to always have for the dog, they enjoy and will use it) and when the timer (required) says two hours have gone by take him out or where you want him to go and say "go busy" or whatever suits you. Then immediately take him back to the crate. After about 24 or 48 hours the dog knows what is expected. Do not take for granted that a baby will not have accidents and deal with them accordingly. Always remember that the dog is usually trying to be the best he can be so softly and gently.

I hope I am not preaching to the Choir. If so please trash this.

Good luck!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Put the dog in the crate. And set a timer (no sounds please) for two hours.

After two hours take the dog out on a leash and when you are at an appropriate spot give the command that you want the dog to relate to. I use "go busy" but you can use whatever you want.

Immediately take the dog back to the crate and after 24 to 48 hours the dog has the message except for accidents the baby might have.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I see I left out something very important.

This whole ritual is about housebreaking...and dogs (especially puppies ) have different agendas.

Regardless of whether the dogs "goes" or not the time to do his business has to be short. Just enough time...no more! If the puppy does not have to go he still goes back to the crate. Play time has to be separate from "business" time. A great deal of praise when something good happens helps to reinforce so be unsparing with praise when the dog does something good.

I grew up with Beagles and for a long time I thought they were dumb but I have come to the understandng that they are not dumb (far from it) but they are extremly curious and have incredible noses and they do not care about our measly concerns when there is something they need to check out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Millions of Dog Folk have done this. It works.

Sometimes a short term of aggravation is needed to save a lot.

Trust me. The dog will learn and will strive to please you. Inappropriate behavior on the dogs part is pure and simple a mistake.

Dogs are similar to us in that whatever we learn early on in life is what becomes the norm. Food, behaviors, it does not matter, we accept normal stuff usually without question.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Cliff is right on with the advice.

Most prefer not to paper train and just take them out every couple of hours and give them whatever command you choose. I use "go poop or go pee" and he learned it amazingly fast.
When they are 3 months old, it's physically impossible for them to be totally house broken for more than a couple hours, so you can't blame the little guy for relieving himself if he has been in longer than that (yup, it's like having a new baby :) ).

We crate trained Boris when he just a little bit older than your pup, and even though they may bark and fuss at first, they do grow to look at it as their "den or cave" once they get used to it, given it's used properly. Now Boris asks to go in there if I have him gated off in the kitchen with me, and actually prefers to be in the crate rather than out in the open when he rests.
Ahh, life is good in my "man cave"...

Edit: apparently the photo issue hasn't been resolved, so it's not showing up as it should.

Here is a pretty good guideline our breeder has on her site for house training and the use of crates, which was pretty much the way we did it with Boris.
http://aruffcom.ipower.com/Housetraining.html

Hang in there, a little effort with your little guy is well worth it when they grow up and form that special bond with you. :)

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well he is already bonding to me, and he is completely adorable! He follows me whereever I go. So I bring the crate with us to my office, and use it at home, and keep him in it and let him outside every two hours. I think my next door neighbor has a carrier big enough for him I could borrow. I'll give it a try. I bought these stupid potty training pads and I cant get him to go anywhere near it.

What about at night though? I don't have to wake up every two hours to let him out do I?

Nevermind, I read the article and answered my own question. Thanks Cliff and Jan! This seems to make sense now that I think about it. I can do this! I will miss not having him curled up in bed with me though! I still have a cat, and having Buster confined might help to have them ajust to each other better. I guess I will go buy a crate tonight instead of trying to use a carrier. Its only money!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Usually the pup will not be as active at night, and he will not be eating so a longer period is probably OK but even so a baby can not "hold it for a long period of time. Even though the dog does not want to mess its own area it has to go so help it out. Like I said a little bit of grief right now solves a lot later. If you have ever raied kids this is similar but quicker and easier.

Borrowing a small crate for a puppy is wiser. Those darn crates are not cheap and the same crate for a puppy is not normally OK for an adult. The size needs to be big enough to stand and turn around in, no bigger so two sizes are usually required.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I went to Petco and bought a steel cage like crate for a 20 pound dog, and it has a divider in it to make it smaller. I put a nice blanket in it. I took him outside at 10 to 11 PM and walked him until he did something.... at 12:45 am I was tired of walking and he didn't do a darn thing! He must have a pretty strong bladder! I was so frustrated. I put him in the crate and slept in a chair next to it. At 6am I let him out and he did a number 1 and thats it. At 8: 30 am I took him outside at my office and he didn't do anything. He's sleeping now in the crate. Once it becomes a regular routine I am sure things will go smoother, but hour and a half walks at midnight is not going to happen again!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
What an adorable pup! Congrats on the new addition to your family, I know you've been wanting to get a dog for a long time. Good luck with the house training.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good for you, long walks are for enjoyment later. For an hour and a half he is playing, enjoying being alive and with you. Bear in mind what I said ASAP... no longer.

Dogs are like baby's they sleep a lot. If a dog (especially a young one) is kept up too long it gets sick and beyond that no training is taking place during long walks. The pup can and will hold its waste for a while just not for eight hours. The puppy needs his rest, just like us, only more so. Dogs and fish use us to keep track of time, meals etc. We tell people if you are too fat, your dog does not get enough exercise.

I am sure there are less stressful ways to potty train a dog I just do not know them yet. Keep in mind the purpose of all this. Puppy training period.

Later after he is potty trained and an adult, which hapens all too quickly, the problem becomes him expecting the same middle of the night walk just for kicks. This is a no-no, unless of course your lifestyle includes rolling out of bed at 2 or 3 or 4 in the morning. Do not laugh, I have a friend that does this but she is like an Energizer Bunny. Not me though and my dogs are a little more civilized.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Well, it sounds like he's already taking to the crate well, so that's really good news. That's perfect that you found one of them with a divider too, so you can adjust it as he grows. Being a smaller dog, you probably won't have to get another one since you got the divider.
With our Dobe, we are now on crate #4, which is the giant size and the biggest they make. :shock: With each new purchase we kept thinking "this should be the last one now that he's almost grown". Finally at 1.5 years later.....

You're definitely off to a good start by the sounds of what you're doing, so you should have yourself a perfect best friend. :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts