Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i guess i'll make a journal of my mistakes.

today i finally had my co2 tank filled after a week or so of stalking welding & fire extinguisher shops. I located an extinguisher a place that will fill instead of swapping, but the co2 dude is never there. Today was the exception. It was easy to get to, just kind of far.... and in the ghetto.

Anyways, after hooking everything up and testing for leaks etc. it is up and running. right now my ph is 7.5 and kh is 6. and yea, after poking around on this forum and others i finally figured out that its my eco complete causing me problems. i originally bought 7 bags a few months back (yes it was the planted and not the cichlid), 1 or 2 were completely black, and the other had white & greyish pieces mixed in. I really didnt give it much thought. i contacted caribsea and they will replace/ refund if i have a reciept or barcodes from the bags. unfortunately i didnt save reciept or bags. (maybe its just me, but who would save the bags or reciept for substrate for 3 months if they don't know anythings wrong with it)
:(

i'm not really going to aquascape yet, i took all the wood & rocks out. right now i just want to grow plants.

i mixed the pps pro formulas and begin dosing tomorrow.
wish me luck!

oh yea i have 125 gallon with some discus, 2 large amazon swords, 1 oriental sword, 5 crypt wendtii, 4 tiger lotus, some anubias barteri, nana, coffeefolia, and some hornwort i threw in there from a different tank.

·
Registered
341 Posts
For some reason I really like swords and lotus plants, the only down side to them is that it takes a big tank to be able to appreciate their beauty if you let them grow big. Your 125gal aquarium will do these plants justice! Keep us updated through your tank's progress, looking forward to this one!:cool:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been 8 days since i started pressurized co2 and pps pro. all three swords are growing faster than ever. the two amazon swords have brown algae on the older leaves. the small oriental sword has been putting out lots of whiteish leaves. are they suppossed to be white? some are just started to turn greenish. they also look thinner than the older ones. i havent noticed a difference in the wendtiis. one of the tiger lotus has tripled in size. 2 are suppossed to be green and two pink but they all look reddish.

today is the 4th dose of erythromycin. most of the cyanobacteria is dead or dying. but there is still a few bright green patches. its expensive to treat 125g for 5 days when buying maracyn.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so yesterday i was going to do a water change and take pictures... but i woke up freezing and noticed the front door had blown open and both our persian cats were gone. we found one under a car after an hour or so, but poor fritzie is still missing. he has never been outside. he's probably freezing & starving. i'm hoping through all his selective breeding mutations there is still some natural instincts in there. the wife and i took turns canvasing the neighborhood all day and night. it makes me feel sick to think about it, but i keep it to myself because my wife is upset enough for both of us.

even though i am completely depressed i will attempt some tank cleaning today. :(

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Oh my! I'm so sorry about Fritzie. I will say a prayer for him. I'm thankful that he is persian. That will help with the cold. Did you have a collar with a tag on it? Being a persian I'm sure if someone sees him they will take him in. Hunger will surely bring him toward people. If you can pass out pxs to the neighbors. My sister found her 3lbs Yorkie 2 times that way. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My Zoe was an outside cat when she was younger, and I know what that knot in your stomach feels like - I pray for the best for you. If you can close the bedroom door (so the one you found doesnt sneak out) and leave the window open (or whatever), try that. A lot of times they are just napping in some hidden spot ten feet from the house and decide to come back when they feel like it. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry i havent updated in so long...

texgal... yes we found him 4 days later. i thought he was fine until i saw puddles of blood on the carpet and blood runs down the wall where he likes to sleep.he had a massive wound where his tail meets his body. we took him to the vet and they said his vertabrae was showing and that he might lose his tail. well its been about a monthe and his wound has pretty much healed. but his tail seems lifeless after about 1/4 way up. i just hope he gains enough control to move it out of the way when he poops!

here is a blurry full tank shot of my 125.... its hard to take pctures when you have a 3 1/2 month old strapped to your chest.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I'm so gald you found him but I'm so sorry to hear about poor Friztie's tail[smilie=f: That sounds like a horrible wound he had. Poor little guy. Those must have been some awful four days!

Looks like you're getting some amazing growth in your tanks! :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks but i wouldnt call it amazing. im struggling with some plants. ive been dosing PPS Pro and alot of growth is stunting while others are flourishing. sometimes it seems i have better luck with difficult species while the "beginner plants" wither away. since dosing pps pro, my swords and are crinkled, my anubias are stunted and deformed and my star grass is dying.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
From your px it looked like everything was taking off. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. PPS Pro is difficult. It's walking that fine line between just enough and lack. That's why I do EI dosing. I just don't know enough about the interactions of the uptake of each nutrient in each plant. Good luck!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From your px it looked like everything was taking off. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. PPS Pro is difficult. It's walking that fine line between just enough and lack. That's why I do EI dosing. I just don't know enough about the interactions of the uptake of each nutrient in each plant. Good luck!
i would dose EI but its the water change issue... we have liquid rock, so im forced to use RO. yea im a complete fool when it comes to nutrient uptake

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
today i bought a new fish. the first one ive bought in probably 8 months thats not part of a clean up crew. a 2" little peruvian green discus that i paid $50 for from the reef. i am usually hesitant about buying anything from a pet shop, especially discus. the reef is an awesome shop though and ive had good luck with previous discus purchases from them. i would have bought more but he was the last one.
right now he is being drip acclimated. i was planning on doing a water change as i lugged 30 gallons of RO to the house yesterday. maybe i still will and slip him in there while panics in the streets of birmingham. my quarantine tank is not set up right now otherwise he'd be quarantined for a few weeks. They also had some nice festivum but i decided just to get the discus.
for me buying discus is not like buying an "ordinary" fish like tetras or rainbow fish. i drill the employee with 50 questions and i make them offer food while i am watching. I HAVE to know who bred them, how long they have been there, what the tanks parameters are, what they are being fed, what has previously been in the tank, is the tank on a central filtering unit etc. its more like buying a dog or something.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Current Flora:
Limnophila indica
Aponogetons longiplumulosus
Aponogetons Crispus
Marsilea quadrifolia
Zephyranthes candida
Crinum thaianum
Heteranthera zosterfolia - dying
Ludwigia repens
Ludwigia palustris
Myrio simulan
Rotala roundifolia
Sagittaria subulata
Alternanthera reineckii - Not doing so well
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Cryptocoryne wendtii (Green, Bronze, Red)
Cryptocoryne crispatula
Nymphaea zenkeri (Red & Green)
Cabomba carolina
Ceratophyllum demersum
Bacopa Monnieri
Anubias barteri v. ‘Coffeefolia
Anubias barteri v Caladiifolia
Anubias barteri v. ‘Nana’
Anubias Afzelii
Anubias 'Frazeri'
Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus 'oriental'
Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae - dying

i think thats it

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I just did a small 15gallon water change and noticed i have some red beard type algae growing on my amazon sword leaves and on the edges of the lower ludwiga leaves. i havent had any algae issues for a month or so ever since i defeated my massive outbreak of cyanobacteria (yay me). I've also been getting some gold dust looking algae on my glass. I have noticed i can go 9 days w/o a water change before things start getting out of control. mostly just algae on the glass making the tank look dirty. i could probably go longer if i just cleaned the glass, but i like to siphon after i scraped all that muck into the water.

i also replaced my DIY inline reactor with a powered in tank reactor. i placed one filter intake just below it and another just above it, so i assume it is getting dispered well with the out puts at each end of the tank, one just below the surface and one just above the substrate.

my rotala indica is growing pretty good, maybe putting on a half inch per day, but its not rooting very well yet. my stargrass has all but died, though the tops are staying green and putting out small roots.

my new little bambino is hanging with the big boys and has chowed down on some blood worms already. so far so good.

today i increased my PPS dosing to 15ml from 13, and i left out the extra iron ive been dosing. i'll try this for a few weeks and see what happens.

today i bought some fresh walleye, sea bass and artic char from whole foods to make for dinner later in the week and my wife commented that "if you love fish so much, why would you eat them? i dont eat cat."

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
today i vaccummed some mulm from the gravel did a water change and massive trim. i trimmed about 30 leaves from my 2 big swords, some had red bba (just appeared about a week ago) some were just old and yucky. i also noticed my sag was putting out tons of new little plantlets, so were the clovers and chain swords. the sag and apontogens were also flowering. i also took all the wood out. everytime i put it in i have algae problems, so im just leaving it out. it took up a lot of room anyways. maybe ill put the branches back in and leave the stumps out. ive decided that im going to narrow down my species to a few that grow the best fo me. i pay so much attention to the plants i neglect my discus.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts