Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts
Discussion starter · #48 ·
I use a dish when not wanting to disturb the substrate, normally works for me.

Like your hardscape from the 2nd to last picture, can't wait to see the plants in it.
thanks.

i tried a bowl but it after the water got so high, i couldnt get a syphon going from the 5 gallon jugs so i ended trying to gently pour them in, but it didnt turn out to be very gentle.

my ph is at 4.8, my kh is at 0 right now but my gh is off the charts, could all the dust particles be affecting my gh reading?
i havent even turned the co2 on yet. i guess im going to try baking soda. i would use tap water but ours is softened with sodium.
does anyone know if the spickets outside would be softened?

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Haha, my parents are getting the same way as your wife :D. I have have a 75G and 2 more nano tanks if my parents were not in the picture haha.
i have a 75 in the garage im not allowed to set up.. i have 2 small quarantines (10 & 20) i set up as needed.

i also have 2 55's sitting in my mom's basement back in chicago that i'm not allowed to bring home.:mad:

im saving them all for when we sell this house and buy one with a basement that i plan on turning into a fish room.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
the water was crystal clear last night, now its cloudy again from stirring things up.

started planted after cutting all algae covered leaves, a bleach dip and a soak in dechlorinator.

the plants have been floating around in cool water for a few days so they dont look the greatest.

It looks great except one thing. The wood pointing to the front of the tank (it's the left-most stick in the bottom picture, it's in the middle/front of the first picture) is a little distracting. It's the only thing I notice that doesn't quite "flow" with the rest of the scape. Maybe try without it? Just my opinion, don't take it too serious.

Otherwise, great job on the hardscape and I look forward to seeing it fill in.

-Dave

Discussion starter · #52 ·
It looks great except one thing. The wood pointing to the front of the tank (it's the left-most stick in the bottom picture, it's in the middle/front of the first picture) is a little distracting. It's the only thing I notice that doesn't quite "flow" with the rest of the scape. Maybe try without it? Just my opinion, don't take it too serious.

Otherwise, great job on the hardscape and I look forward to seeing it fill in.

-Dave
thanks for commenting.... all comments are appreciated:)

that stick is in that position because it is still buoyent and is wedged bewtween the rocks and glass, will get moved when it sinks a little better

Discussion starter · #53 ·
i would just like to say wow. so this is what its suppossed to be like. its only been running a week or two and already the growth is surpassing the way it was with my old substrate. no more stunting. no more pale leaves.
most of the old leaves are melting off, my crypts and swords went through a complete melt and already have great looking new growth.
all that struggleing and frustration. i knew it was the eco complete all along.

now i just need to fill it with some more stems in a hurry.

have not added the discus yet. i still have ammonia and nitrite readings. but i did add the few small tetras i have and the scalare's a few days ago (dont really care about them) and they seem to be doing pretty good.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Wow, that's alot more green! Did you add more plants or is all of that new growth from what you had in the last pictures?
its a little of both. i added the rest of the sag i had. theyve already got runners and new plants forming. i also added some plants i bought from zapins. (great condition)

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Looking good. What substrate did you use? I don't think I saw you mention it.

Thanks for posting the tear-down and setup--always interesting to see it done. Keep us updated.
i was going to buy aquasoil but decided to give turface a try. its annoyingly light but it grows some mean roots. i only have experience with eco complete so thats all i have to compare it to, but it is a HUGE improvement.

today i came home from work and noticed all the plants were pearling, which never really happened before. it was like a bottle of champaigne. with some big bubbles trapped under some of stems i just received.

i also noticed some hitch hikers. some weird little ramshorn looking snails with the shells laying flat. my sag is started to get some diatoms and i never had much luck with otos so im going to try some olive nerites.

i really cant wait until it cycles completely and i can add the rest of my fish. my only concern is that big fish will swim by and blow the substrate around. i guess once it becomes a mass of roots it wont be too much a problem.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.