Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and hello fro Indonesia.
This is my first post and my first building an NPT after so many month learning from this forum. The tank is nano tank a 10g.
Dirt soil i've been using is from my own backyard, with 4 times mineralizing (wash and dry it) before i mixed with clay, the depth is around 1 inch. And i topped the dirt with pasir malang 1 inch (i don't know this sand in english) and topped the sand a little for aesthetic purpose with aquasoil, the sand (pasir malang) is consist from 1 mm to 3 mm in diameter. And the plants are:
- helantium tenellum
- juncus repens
- utricularia graminifolia (wabikusa)
- dwarf hairgrass
- lobelia cardinalis
- bacopa monnieri
- staurogyne repens
- ceratophyllum demersum
- pistia stratiotes

The tank is 8 days and after days 7, i put 3 ramshorn snails and 1 mysterious snail.

Light duration is about 9 hrs, i made the lighting by myself 12 watt diy led hpl, with hob filter and surface skimmer. Is it ok to use both hob filter and surface skimmer in this kinda NPT?

And what do you think about this tank?

And i would like to thank everyone in this forum for giving me enlightment about aquascape, especially Natural Planted Tank.
Looking forward to make this kinda method to be succeeded :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Welcome to APC!

I really like that DIY LED light you made - looks very professional. Are all of the plants you have in the substrate stem plants? As I understand Ms Walstad's method, you need some rosette plants, which have strong root systems. But, I'm not sure which ones would work in that size tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thank you for the lighting, and for the stem plant, i think bacopa monnieri fall under that category, am i right? And for the rossete, there's cryptocorynne wendtii. The one in the middle right next to the stone.
And why do NPT need a rossete plant? I think i've missed this information, when reading on this forum. Care to share? Thanks @hoppycalif

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Very good looking tank!

Rosette plants usually have very strong root systems. These plants can actually move oxygen from the leaves to the roots. This helps to keep the substrate from being depleted of oxygen (anaerobic). Your Cryptocoryne, Helanthium, and possibly the Lobelia will all serve this purpose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, last night the betta wasn’t jumping out of tank, but got into the surface skimmer instead. Skimmer is out i guess, for the sake of the betta. Thank you for your input @mistergreen, this weekend i will a cover from acrylic, need to make the cut to on acrylic to fit with the hob.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice tank, looks very professional, DIY lights including.

In my tank, Helanthium tenellum dominates the tank, no other "grass like" plant has a chance. I'm curious if your Dwarf hairgrass and Staurogyne repens will me more successful :) Or do you plan to keep them at bay with pruning?

Why do you think that you need a skimmer? Is it a preventive measure? With HOB breaking the water surface I believe that you won't need it at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@mysiak, well thank you. Yes, my original plan is to keep pruning Helantium tenellum and Staurogyne repens, but no pruning with Dwarf hairgrass :)

And i thought i need skimmer for the biofilm that might occur, after the incident, no more skimmer in the tank and i adjusted the flow in the HOB so it can break the water surface without too much causing water agitation.

I hope my betta is doing just fine after that incident :hug:

·
Registered
527 Posts
I find pruning of rooted "weed" plants serious pain in the.. , so I leave it to the nature (well, it's probably just an excuse for my laziness :D). But my "natural jungle" tanks certainly wouldn't win any beauty contest :) If you're motivated enough, I'm sure that your plan will work.

Fish, if given the chance, have amazing recovery abilities. Missing fins or scales will grow back, they just need time, clean water and as little stress as possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, hope i can keep my motivation, as this kind of method, NPT is very intriguing and exciting for me not to try it first hand.

Surely will look for my betta to be recovered, tonight i see part of dorsal fin is missing. I guess i need to take care him a bit better and hope nature will do the rest :pray:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thank you @dwalstad, one of the reason i'm making this NPT is i've read your book plus reading from this forum.
For 4 years i'm with co2 enrichment aquascaping, and now a whole new adventure with NPT.

I have a question in my mind, if i'm not mistaken, i read one of your comment on this forum, that the first 2-6 weeks is very crucial for NPT, so how much do i have to water change the tank in this period? And how much water do i need to change?
Is it ok if i change the water around 20%- 30% every 2 weeks?

Enthusiastic Amateur Aquascaper

·
Super Moderator
2,675 Posts
Your tank is so well-started that I would relax. If the plants are growing and the water is clear and there is no algae and the fish are behaving normally (eating enthusiastically), then changing water is simply an option. Just carefully monitor your tank (plant growth, fish behavior) during that first critical 2-6 weeks. If problems appear, then water changes, poking the substrate, etc come into play.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@dwalstad thank you so much for such an insights. Will keep in mind, watch the fish, plants, and algae.

The fastest growth that's so obvious is ceratophyllum demersum and utricularia graminifolia.
In the past i couldn't make utricularia thrived, they all withered and infested with green hair algae, even in co2 enrichment, i wonder what's so different this time?

·
Registered
80 Posts
@dwalstad thank you so much for such an insights. Will keep in mind, watch the fish, plants, and algae.

The fastest growth that's so obvious is ceratophyllum demersum and utricularia graminifolia.
In the past i couldn't make utricularia thrived, they all withered and infested with green hair algae, even in co2 enrichment, i wonder what's so different this time?
Your success with utricularia graminafolia is very intriguing. I've seen it labelled as one of the hardest carpeting plants to grow. I've seen a couple successful scrapers mention that it does well with lean fertilizing though, so maybe that's the case? Just sharing what I've seen online, maybe it's accurate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@reediculous_nanotank Yes, in the past i tried utricularia graminofolia with no success. The tank was pressurized co2 with macro and micro ferts.
And now, i think the reason is it's very lean on fertilizer, only using fish food as a fertilizer. With 10 hrs shaded sunlight + 3 hrs lighting, it grows a lot.
Do you think i should add macro and micro fert for this tank? Maybe once a week?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I suggest you don't add any fertilizers unless your plants start growing much slower. Then be very careful about adding ferts. You are doing so well now, why introduce another factor that could have negative consequences?

·
Registered
80 Posts
@reediculous_nanotank Yes, in the past i tried utricularia graminofolia with no success. The tank was pressurized co2 with macro and micro ferts.
And now, i think the reason is it's very lean on fertilizer, only using fish food as a fertilizer. With 10 hrs shaded sunlight + 3 hrs lighting, it grows a lot.
Do you think i should add macro and micro fert for this tank? Maybe once a week?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Cool, thanks for sharing! I guess that's confirmation that lean fertilizing is the answer... That's really good to know.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts