Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got enough plants to make my tank start to look ok. It is my first attempt at this. I was not able at this time to redo the substrata from the gravel I had but will see how it does.
I have 2 power heads on UGF and a whisper hang on back filter (I know this is not the best setup and hope to upgrade next summer)
fetilizers- dosing with Saechem as per their schedule
Co2- just set up 2 liter bottles hooked to a Hagen mini filter to boost diffusion
Parameters seem to be good but will retest tommorrow after the Co2 has a chance to work
I added some baby tears to the log on left after this pic was taken :)

here it is, tank 001.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Nicely done, brownietrout! :clap2: I like the layout, how all the rosette plants curve inward around/behind the middle. Your use of color is good, too. Can you tell us what all plants you've got in there? I see some swords and ludwigia. What else is there?

-Dave

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave! Makes me feel good to know I have done ok.I am going to have to work on ID ing but here is what I know so far
Hygophila Augustifolia
Ludwigia Repens
Cryptocorne Wendtii V Tropica
Cryptocoryn Wendtii Red and green
1 large val and 1 small (sorry I don't have the right names)
2 Red melon sword, I think.
Bacopa
micro Sword
Java fern
a few small swords trying to recover from my tank before I knew what I was doing. If they take off I will have to move them
Java moss (sad looking, hope it will get better)
And more. I will try to get an ID on the rest and post them here.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok here is a more complete list with the right names :)
Hygrophilia Augustifolia
Ludwigia Repens
Cryptocorne Wendtii V Tropica
Cryptocorne Wendtii both red and green
Echinodorus- Berteroi, Marti, Tenellus, Kliener Bar, Barthii
Bacopa Australis (I think)
Cabomba Caroliniana (I think)
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
Ludwigia Ovalis
Rotala Macrandra green narrow leaf
Rotala Macrandra green
Anubias Barteri
Aponogeton "Crispus"
Microsorium Pteropus "Windelov"
A couple others I haven't gotten ID on :)

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
That's quite a species list! I'm sure the swords will recover for you, especially with some root tabs or other gravel fertilizer (since they are such heavy feeders, as well as the crypts) .

I think you may have brought this up in another thread, but what is you lighting?

-Dave

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi brownietrout,

Wow, nice start! I know it's not spring up there yet (=/- 24F), where did you find the plants?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave I have 2 coralife fixtures with AGA 8000K full spectrum compact flourescent bulbs, a total of about 2.5 watts per gallon

Seattle Aquarist, 2 of our LFS got some nice plant shipments in! I was so suprised and thrilled. I know some will probably do great and some won't but it is a great start.
I also got a 2 bottle DIY CO2 with a mini Hagen filter set up to diffuse it. started yesterday and am getting some CO2 in there now. I know it will not be enough for that big of a tank but am using Excel also so I hope it all works out.
Hope to upgrade in the future but this will have to do for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts