Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
7,965 Posts
I think you have enough light to grow a lot of diffarant plants, remember you have less depth in a 20G long for the light to penatrate.

I would not use fizz tabs they do not supply a constant C02 source, set up a DIY pop bottle C02 system... http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

I would remove the sponge filter once you have the tank planted, two filters will give you too much surface aggitation which will cause C02 loss. When you can get a canister filter it will be a lot better filtration and no surface aggitation.

The test kits you will need is: N02, N03, P04, PH, KH & Ammonia.

I wait 3 weeks to fertilize (some will disagree), you will need a general fert, micros & iron. Once your tank has seattled in you may need to add other nutrients like nitrates, potassium etc.

I would do more than a 25% water change, either 30% or 40% depending if you do water changes weekly or bi-weekly.

The onyx sand should have nutrients for the roots but you will still need to use liquid ferts in the water column. After your tank has been set up a while it would also be good to add root tabs.

Do you know what the other 3 misc fish are?

· Premium Member
7,965 Posts
With the fizz factory once the tablet is dissolved no more C02, with DIY you have a constant flow of C02 which gradually decreases.

Yes, fish do supply some nutrients to the water but depending on how many fish/how many plants you have you may or may not have enough of these nutrients.

Yes, test kits I mentioned are vital to keeping a planted tank in-balance. PH/KH are directly linked with each other wich helps determine C02 levels in the tank. N03/P04 needs to be keep in-balance to keep from having nasty algae (other factors are also involved).

The algae eater could be a Otto: http://www.fishpondinfo.com/otto.htm
Might be able to help with the other fish if you post a pic. The reason I was asking about the other fish is they may to get to big for your tank, not be compatable with your other fish or need differant water requirments.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.