Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Sounds like you're quite the diy'er - making a tank and a cannister filter on your own is impressive! Let me refer you to a couple of references which will help you with some basic info:

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/artic...ums/14684-new-tank-setup-guide-parts-1-a.html

Moss won't require very high lighting, but dwarf hairgrass likes more light, so keep that in mind. You mention you will have hard water. If it's very hard, it could impact a variety of factors.

· Premium Member
5,770 Posts
i just found a nice stream away from the city where i think i can collect good plants from.....But i wanted to know how to decide if a plant is healthy enough for the aquarium and if it is carrying some disease?
You can do a bleach dip on the plant which will clean up most nasties, including algae from it. Do a search on the forum for exact details, but it's a 1:20 solution of water:bleach. Even if plant is not overly healthy, giving it good conditions in your tank will do wonders for its growth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.