Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A month ago i decided that i wanted to set up a planted tank and decided that i might as well make it Diy project(as much as possible)....
So here is what i have done in the last 1 month....
1)Make my own 90*30*30 cm tank....
2)Got a good river sand substrate(5cm depth)
3)Made a DIY canister filter and DIY CO2 generation and reactor system
4)for lighting i got 2 CFL tube lights

Another thing i have to add is that i have access to only ground water which will probably be a little Hard

Now I am Planning to Put some Dwarf grass in the Foreground and Moss on Driftwood....
Can u guys advice me on what plants i should look at....
regarding the Fish i plan on having....I am thinking about Neon Tetras,Swordtails and maybe some Dwarf Gouramis (im not sure i can add Angels advice me there too) will upload some pics soon but there is nothing much to see till i get the plants which will take a couple of weeks considering the fact that i have exams
:(

Thanks a lot in Advance
Kshetrajna

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Jargonchipmunk....
http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=87

this is what i used for reference....but i made few slight alteration.....
firstly i put the powerhead in the tank instead of the filter container as it says in the article and in my design i pump water into a container placed over the aquarium and instead of using a pipe to let the water flow back i just let the water drop down from the container into the aquarium...its more like an overhanging filter....but then this does have its own dis-advantages as u might lose some of your dissolved CO2.... so i am planing to change the design to make it flow back using tubing....pretty easy to do if you own a drill, a good container,tubing,a powerhead pump(or any water pump for that matter) and some sealant....and ya im using sponge,bio balls and gravel as the filter media...

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just found a nice stream away from the city where i think i can collect good plants from.....But i wanted to know how to decide if a plant is healthy enough for the aquarium and if it is carrying some disease?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry to keep asking so many questions but here is another:p

how do you spread carpet plants?i mean when you plant them do you get enough plants for the full carpet are or will they spread around?.....i wanted to get a carpet like in those iwagumi tanks...

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you guys for all the information....now if i can bother you with one more question:p

i was going through a lot of the "El Natural" threads and there they recommend the use of potting soil underneath the sand substrate....now it might be a foolish question but....will the water not get dirty with the use of potting soil??

the reason i am asking so many questions is i cant get started on the tank till jan 1st as my exams get over only on the 31st!!!!!:mad:

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
thanks a lot for the quick response guys.....thats all my questions answered for me:D

wont be starting on the tank setup till the 1st of jan like i said(which gives me plenty of time to plan the layout and aquascaping details) ....will put up pics the moment i start...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.