Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys and girls. So I've gone through alot of phases with different planted aquarium styles. I've done Iwagumi'ish, nature aquarium and now I'm trying my hand at dutch. It's proven to be much more difficult to make look right than I originally though but things are off to a decent start so far. So anyway, without further adieu here's some specs+pics;

Tank - ADA 75-P
Lights - 2x Coralife T5-HO, ~ 120 watts
Substrate - ADA Tourmaline BC and Clear super on the bottom with Eco Complete (~60lbs)
C02 - Pressurized ~5bps
Flora - Limnophila Sessilflora, Limnophila Aromatica, Ludwigia Ovalis, Ludwigia Sp Red, Bacopa Carolinia, Rotala Nanjanshen, Arthraxi Hispidus, Staurogyne sp porto velho (not healthy :() Alternanthera Reinicki, and a couple others that I forgot what they were called. Also....apologies for the horrible spelling on some of those :p
Fauna - 18 Green Neon Tetras, 3 SAE's, 1 Ottocat, 5 Crystal Red Shrimp (Not breeding yet : /) and POND SNAILS >:/

Humble Origins - First day of planting. No real arrangement, was just trying to get the plants out of their shipping containers and into water :p

After filling in and growing a bit, again, not really in a proper lay out yet.

Finally took the time to rip everything out and plant things in some sort of order/layout.

And finally, today after a water change, small trim and a little cleaning. Finally starting to take shape and not look like dog doo :p

I have Eloacharis Belem coming soon to replace the Glosso. It simply is refusing to grow : /.

Also would really like to replace the rotala nanjanshen behind that red ludwigia in the middle but can't decide on a plant. Any suggestions?

What do you guys think? Ideas for better plant arrangement/choice? Should look heaps better once it has a proper foreground.

Thanks for looking :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's looking very nice! I like that you're doing a Dutch style, there don't seem to be very many of those around right now. :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Great looking tank! Always love dutch!

I do remeber in reading dutch that the red plants should not be right dead center but off to the sides.

Other then that I love it

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took some random plant shots today and thought I'd put them up here:

Just thought the ludwigia looked really pretty from this angle :) wish that e. belem would fill in fast though lol

Ludwigia Ovalis starting to look good. I'm actually not too sure what is growing to the bottom right of it anymore though lol. Can anyone ID that? And also, can you ID what is making it look like crap? :p

I think Limnophila aromatica is my new favorite

Thanks for the comments all :D

@Silver - Yeah you don't see that too much anymore. Seems like Iwagumi and Nature Aquarium and hybrids of those have really become en vogue lately. Even though this really isn't a true dutch by any measure I'm still really starting to dig it. Have been semi contemplating throwing some hardscape in there. Wood or rock or both, I'm not sure. I do have some neat looking pet wood that might go well in there. Thoughts?

@Bratboy - I've never read that about red plants before in dutch style aquariums. But now that you've mentioned it, it does look a little off dead center like that. A few other plants need to be moved/shaped into different places. The right side is definitely lacking and some midground definitely needs to be introduced somewhere. I suppose I could start spreading that ludwigia over to the right. It's been growing so slowly though I'm hesitant to mess with it.

I'm starting to think about shrinking down the Limnophila sessisflora in the back corners and maybe introducing more aromatica there...maybe some other type of rotala even

Cheers,
B

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Are you sure your aromatic isn't ludwigia 'cuba'?

And I think thats hygro tiger....

Should be fine moving that ludwigia red

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Lol hey it took me months at staring at some of my plants back in the day to realize that they were not growing like they were supposed to haha!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Dutch is the controlled version of collectoritis! Hahaha! I have a bad case of it. Wait till I get my 75 back up

·
Registered
24 Posts
Traditionally I always thought of Dutch style tanks as the province of larger systems but my last tank was a 10 gallon Dutch style tank and I thought it was quite successful. Amano style aquariums aren't the only option for small tanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks for the comments all :D

@Silver - Yeah you don't see that too much anymore. Seems like Iwagumi and Nature Aquarium and hybrids of those have really become en vogue lately. Even though this really isn't a true dutch by any measure I'm still really starting to dig it. Have been semi contemplating throwing some hardscape in there. Wood or rock or both, I'm not sure. I do have some neat looking pet wood that might go well in there. Thoughts?

I'm starting to think about shrinking down the Limnophila sessisflora in the back corners and maybe introducing more aromatica there...maybe some other type of rotala even

Cheers,
B
I chalk it up to enthusiasm for the latest greatest thing from Japan, because Japan Is Cool. :lol: I probably wouldn't put hardscape in, I love it with just plants! Hard to tell without seeing it though, and I'm a firm believer in meddling for fun.

I think that switching one of those back corners so that they're not so symmetrical would definitely make the tank look even more awesome. :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Bratboy - Get that 75 going! Dutch+Discus = sexy. Wish I had a little bigger of a tank to work with

@Silver - agreed on the symmetry thing. I haven't done anything with it yet cause I'm semi planning on doing a major rescape on this anyways...we shall see! What do you think would good in that back left corner though? I'm not quite too sure what to put there.

@Bryfox - Thanks man! :)

Been a while since an update, been sick for the last couple weeks : / and have been too lazy to really mess with much upkeep, photo's and whatnot. I did manage to clean the glass a bit and add a new diffuser a few days ago though and things are looking better and better! I think I need to get some more blyxa though, it was all the lfs had :(

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine isn't really a traditional dutch style...there's a few other things that go into that. Usually they're more enclosed, a tank set in a wall or a stand with sides and a top. And then what cneon said, big variety of neat little rows of plants, usually stems. I wouldn't say mine is that "neatly" laid out lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, when you consider the other end of the spectrum - the jungle tank - I'd say you're pretty neatly laid out in nice rows. I like your tank - punchy color in the middle and strong, healthy growth. What is that plant dead center beneath the red? Blyxa?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts