Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so keep in mind i've only been doing this a few months (i lurve it) and i'm like almost dead broke these are two of my tanks i'll start with my five gallon

Five gallon (cycling) to be shrimp tank

This tank isnt fully planted yet but what do you think so far? i want to put black sand down the "middle" and the rock in the front center isnt going to stay its purely for the bacteria for the tank lol

10 Gallon planted community tank
Forgive me its night time and this tank doesnt technically have a "light" in the traditional sense it uses the light from the window and does ok. (i'm working on it...)

Duncan our yoyo loach

And all my CRS shrimpies
Momma CRS (notice the not so hot grade)

Baby CRS's

Some close ups of my school of Amandae tetras

Sorry they arent that great quality i need to figure out the camera thing and do it when its light... but i've been nervous to show u guys my tanks because yours all look so awesome so go easy on me please :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Very good start Mary. Can you also share the specs of the tanks please (like filter, light, plants, fish/inverts, ...)

Keep it up. Good work.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Looks good so far. You have some nice plants in there too.

Nothing to be ashamed of. We all started from somewhere.

When your plants start growing in, you will probably rearrange a dozen times until you either get tired of rearranging or find something you like.

I don't know how many times I have rearranged my tank.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already rearranged once.

My specs are
10 gallon
natural lighting (hope to upgrade sometime) through the window
Rena Hang on back filter
Heating stays at about 72
Substrate is Gravel flourite and ada sand
I keep the KH at 3
RO water and no co2 (yet)
Livestock:
7 Amandae Tetras
1 Neon tetra
3 amano shrimp
1 kubotai loach
1 yoyo loach
2 (mated pair i suppose?) CRS
7 baby CRS

5 gallon
Still cycling
Just using a mini flourescent light i got at the LFS
no co2 yet
hang on back filter (meant for ten gallon aquarium)
Amazonia soil and will be adding some SMS charcoal sand to it soon
This tank will eventually be CRS tank

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have one question. Though I've never used RO water, doesn't it take away all the essential minerals out of the water, especially the micro-nutrients might be lacking.

I hope some others can also chime in to answer this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am not the OP but since I do use RO water... When I use it I always mix with tap water. For me about half/half worked well. Plant and fish seem to do a lot better with this mixture than 100% RO or 100% tap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Arizona where the water is extremely hard... like 8.3 at least out of the tap. I use alkaline buffer and equilizer and actually my rocks and substrate release enough into the water i dont have to do it often

·
Registered
733 Posts
That sounds good. However, do they give out all the micro and macro nutrients that the plants need to be healthy, was my question? That's something I'm interested in knowing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm not sure but my plants seem to do fine in it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
That's good to hear.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nice start however you should seperate the CRS and loaches since they're known for eating invertebrates and have insatiable appetites.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no salt in ro water its just water reverse osmosis btw (thats what it stands for) I took the loaches to the store with a heavy heart :( did some research and my tank is simply too small for them so thats not an issue now..

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
That sounds good. However, do they give out all the micro and macro nutrients that the plants need to be healthy, was my question? That's something I'm interested in knowing.
You can buy a trace elements fert and add manually if your concerned, however with my tank I didn't need to do much of anything until I got my HO lights & CO2. Initially I would only add Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the planted aquarium and that seemed to do alright, but I will warn you this... over dosing will cause algae issues. I would wait untill your plants are showing signs of needing supplement and then only bring in small amounts untill you have your plants needs figured out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
would that be equilibrium?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts