Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 1 versus day 35

I know I haven't been following the Walstad method strictly in terms of plant choice, but I want to try things out and see what happens. :p

Tank size: 10 gallon
Substrate: 1 inch organic soil, topped with 1/2 inch 2-3mm size dark gravel
Temperature 24-26 Celcius
pH 7.5 / gH 6 / kH 5
Ammonia: 0 mg/L
Nitrite 3+ mg/L
Nitrate 5-10 mg/L

==ONGOING issues==

High nitrite :eek:
It has been 3+ mg/L for more than 2 weeks now, the rainbow forktails don't seem to be impacted, but CRS are dying one by one. Daily 12% water change didn't seem to help, and I can't figure out where the nitrite is coming from. The ammonia is 0, and nitrate is between 5-10 mg/L. I am hesitant about larger water change, as it will reduce nitrate and stunt plant growth. Any thoughts?

Monte Carlo browning :eek:
They were whitening for the first few weeks, followed by browning, but they are slowly recovering. I filled the gaps with dwarf hairgrass and Glossostigma. I will wait for a few weeks, and decide which ones to keep. Similar problem with Pogostemon helferi, another slow grower, the existing leaves completed melted for first few weeks, then new leaves started appearing. Patience patience patience...

==RESOLVED issues==

Green water
I didn't realize I had a very strong light, it was a 50 watt over a 10 gallon, not to mentioned I had it on for 12 hours per day, the green water exploded. I cut it down to 12 watt and 5 hours, with daily partial water change, the green water eventually went away. I have since slowly bumped up the lighting to 20 watt with 5-4-5 siesta schedule, so far so good.

Green dust algae
I had this on the tank glass and slow growth plants like repens, it is not as bad as green water but it was expanding fast. With reduced lighting, the expansion stopped, and the nerites and amano shrimps eventually cleaned it up.

Dying floating plants
I started with frogbits, but the long roots are overwhelming the tall plants below. So I replaced them with red root floaters, which died off within 2 weeks. I couldn't figure out the cause, but I replaced them with giant duckweed, they are the ones you see in day 35.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking great pic #2. Straight from a picture book.

My 5 gallon tank is going to be 3 weeks old on Sunday. Not pretty enough yet to take pics.

Regarding the Walstad method: it ain’t a dogma. Everyone’s water, soil and light is different, so experimenting with what thrives and what not is necessary.

·
Super Moderator
2,675 Posts
Photos show what kind of plant growth you can expect when plants really take off. I would not have removed the Frogbit since it was growing so well. I would consider doing large water changes (50%) temporarily to remove the nitrites. Water with 5-10 ppm nitrates is more than enough to meet the nitrogen needs of plants. I doubt that your plants are in danger of N deficiency. They are doing fine draining the water of copious ammonia. (Has to be a lots of ammonia generated with those kind of nitrite and nitrate levels.) I think that time will solve the nitrite problem. The nitrites should eventually decrease. Beautiful tank!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking great pic #2. Straight from a picture book.

My 5 gallon tank is going to be 3 weeks old on Sunday. Not pretty enough yet to take pics.

Regarding the Walstad method: it ain’t a dogma. Everyone’s water, soil and light is different, so experimenting with what thrives and what not is necessary.
Experimenting is the fun part of Walstad method!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Photos show what kind of plant growth you can expect when plants really take off. I would not have removed the Frogbit since it was growing so well. I would consider doing large water changes (50%) temporarily to remove the nitrites. Water with 5-10 ppm nitrates is more than enough to meet the nitrogen needs of plants. I doubt that your plants are in danger of N deficiency. They are doing fine draining the water of copious ammonia. (Has to be a lots of ammonia generated with those kind of nitrite and nitrate levels.) I think that time will solve the nitrite problem. The nitrites should eventually decrease. Beautiful tank!
Thanks Diana for taking the time to respond! It has made my day! :D

I am going to start with big water change today. Hopefully it would reach a equilibrium soon, then I can just sit back and watch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts