Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree with jatcar95. I would defnitely keep the limnophilla until they grow emerged, prune, replant etc. I have had the exact same plant in a similar bowl (around 4L) and it did great.

I really like your plant combination, you have fast and slow growing plants, with a variety in shape, size and color (shade of green)! I expect your bowl to look fantastic in a few weeks!

If you take care during water changes not to "annoy the sand" the substrate will soon settle and stop staining your water. For such a small volume you can use those single-use plastic water cups that are bad for the envoironment. I keep two for this reason, one in which I opened many small holes to the sides (keeping the bottom intact) and the second one totally intact. When adding water to the bowl, I hold the perforated one in the bowl, and I use the second cup to empty water in the first one. Ocassionally I used to siphon the water out in order to clear some dirt off the gravel, but I haven't done that in a long time now...

Enjoy and post some pics when the plants grow more!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I agree with jatcar95. I would defnitely keep the limnophilla until they grow emerged, prune, replant etc. I have had the exact same plant in a similar bowl (around 4L) and it did great.

I really like your plant combination, you have fast and slow growing plants, with a variety in shape, size and color (shade of green)! I expect your bowl to look fantastic in a few weeks!

If you take care during water changes not to "annoy the sand" the substrate will soon settle and stop staining your water. For such a small volume you can use those single-use plastic water cups that are bad for the envoironment. I keep two for this reason, one in which I opened many small holes to the sides (keeping the bottom intact) and the second one totally intact. When adding water to the bowl, I hold the perforated one in the bowl, and I use the second cup to empty water in the first one. Ocassionally I used to siphon the water out in order to clear some dirt off the gravel, but I haven't done that in a long time now...

Enjoy and post some pics when the plants grow more!
I changed the water using a cup just like you described and it's much more comfortable and disturbs less the soil! Thank you so much for your recommendation! By the way, montecarlo didn't make it :( But the crytps seem nice! Rest of plants are growing a lot, some of them already curving in the surface :D I'll prune soon and replant them in this an other bowls. I'll post a pick soon, when the cryptos are more grown.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Dear community, it's been a long time since I showed you the beginning of my bowl. 2 months have passed and my project is quite beautiful. Here you can see how the jungle is looking:

Water Window Plant Fluid Liquid

As you can see, floating plants have long roots, vallisneria has grown a lot, and the rest of the plants offer a wide variety of green shadows and I have to prune them quite often. Montecarlo didn't make it and the cryptos are the weakest of all the plants. The amount of brown algae in the glass has been reduced as well. The water is not transparent, it has a yellow tint, but the parameters seem stable (NO3, NO2, GH, KH and PH).

I introduce you now to the inhabitants of the bowl. Here you can see the king of the bowl, the anetome helena. He is going to eat another snail in this picture. Sometimes I add snails from plants to this bowl to feed him. Whenever I add several snails, they reproduce with each other and the helena controls the population, so somehow an equilibrium has been reached because I never see more than 2-3 snails of other species.

Plant Insect Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Grass

Finally, the newest inhabitant is this red cherry. It's been almost a month with her now and everything is fine. She swims and explores her home peacefully. Worms and other microfauna don't seem to harm her nor the snails, so maybe the worms are nematode worms instead of planaria. Any way, there are not many worms now, and they don't seem like planarians, and the shrimp is fine so they are coexisting quite well.

Water Plant Automotive lighting Grass Terrestrial plant

Since the shrimp came I make weekly water changes to add micronutrients to the water, however before her coming I changed water every 2 weeks or so and everything went fine. I am enjoying my project so much! And learning a lot as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks beautiful! You seem to be getting close to the point where you'll have a constant supply of limnophilla for your other tanks! As well as the other thin stem in front of the crypt (last photo), whose name I don't know.

Eventually the cryptocorynes will spread their roots in the substrate and start popping everywhere! I had the same happen in my bowl with saggitaria subulata, where I planted 6-7 parts and got 20-30 which were enough to plant my 60L cube!

Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts