Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,116 Posts
Your light may seem bright to you, but it is not enough for the HC. This thing likes TONS of light. Add light any way you can.

If you can suck out all the water and leave the HC in the wet Aquasoil (no water) you will have better luck. If you want to have even better luck then once a day, every day, pour water in the tank to cover the HC and then immediatly drain it completely so the HC is again in wet AquaSoil only. Fertilize this water liberally.

Basically the best results come when the HC grows in moist substrate. Lots of Oxygen and so on. HC hates being submersed, haha!

Here are some pictures of my emersed HC. Submersed HC never gets this big and healthy:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ddasega/HCMarch2008

--Nikolay

· Registered
4,116 Posts
MorB,

There is one single substrate that grows aquatic plants right. Nothing else comes even remotely close.

AquaSoil.

--Nikolay

· Registered
4,116 Posts
P3md,

When I say "fertilize liberally" I mean don't try to maintain certain ppms of this or that fertilizer. Basically you want to make water that is rich in fertilizers. If you are into PPS you should be able to figure out how much of what will make this "rich" water.

Don't worry too much about the fertilizers. What will really make the emersed HC grow is A LOT of light. I grow mine under 120 watts of light that is only 2 inches above the plant. Make your conclusions from there :)

Also if you don't use Aquasoil don't expect the greatest growth in the Universe. The HC will grow but not near as explosive as with Aquasoil. No Aquasoil = be patient :). The roots like acidic pH and that is what Aquasoil provides very well. You may try to adjust the substrate pH with acid but the headaches are too much I think.

--Nikolay

· Registered
4,116 Posts
Massymo,

VERY nice HC!

What I conclude from all this is that HC loves to grow emersed. It never develops such big hunter green leaves under water.

It loves to have its roots in slightly acidic substrate (or very acidic substrate, AquaSoil in my case gave about pH=5.5, water filtered through peat gives an immediate drop of at least 1.0).

It likes good ventilation (I grew it without any humidity dome, basically a house plant).

From your pictures it looks like sunlight is very good for growing HC. In my setup I had only Fluorescent lights - 120 watts, no sunlight. The bulbs were very close to the HC - about 2 inches above the plant. Moving the light up even 1 inch really slowed down the growth.

And lastly HC absolutely loves to pig out on food. Maintaining 1 ppm N or 0.5 ppm P does not work very well. 20 and 2 is more like it.

So, for anyone that wants to grow HC emersed - read and learn. It's ridiculously easy. And will probably put you on the path of growing other plants emersed. My only suggestion is rig up a hydroponic system. That's extremely cheap and easy to do too - for about $10 you can have a growing area measuring 4' x 1'. Never worry about fungus or BBA again.

--Nikolay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.