Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a little bored lately so I decided to make a jar terrarium. I found a neat little jar with flat sides, stripped the label, added gravel and dirt and planted it. So far I've planted it with Chlorophytum comosum (white striped version), Hypoestes phyllostachya, Hedera helix, and some moss I found outside.

Here's a pic, what do you think?

Jar Terrarium 09/30/2012 #1 by slimnexus, on Flickr

Jar Terrarium 09/30/2012 #4 by slimnexus, on Flickr

Jar Terrarium 09/30/2012 #2 by slimnexus, on Flickr

Moss by slimnexus, on Flickr

Polka Dot Plant by slimnexus, on Flickr

BTW I posted this here because I couldn't any other subforum that was for posting something like this. Is this the correct place?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After putting together the terrarium I found out that it is recommended to put activated charcoal in it as well which I didn't do. So I may have to redo it sooner than I thought if it starts to get gross.

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
We don't really have a section for terraria, but you could post in paludariums and no one would object.

A little terrarium like this can be a good place to grow many species of aquarium plants emersed. Look in the Plant Finder under any species you are interested in, and see if it can be grown emersed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it be possible to have the thread moved, or should I just re-post it in paludariums? Also thanks for the suggestion about emersed plants, I think I may try that.

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
Would it be possible to have the thread moved, or should I just re-post it in paludariums? Also thanks for the suggestion about emersed plants, I think I may try that.
Done.

There are quite a few members who like to grow emersed plants, you will get lots of advice if you want it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking about taking pictures once a week and logging the growth of the terrarium, if anybody is interested I'll keep posting the pictures up here. Also, if anyone with more terrarium experience (this is my first) has any advice I'd be glad to hear it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't seem to be doing so good now. It was just an experiment I didn't know if the plants I had chosen would do well in a terrarium or not. It seems to have been taken over by webby looking fungus. Anybody know how to avoid getting fungus in a terrarium?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts