Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 20g tank thats fairly heavily planted. its been up for almost a yr but i just did a major rescape. it took a while for my plants to start growing in the beginning, but my corkscrew val and sag. eventually grew well, my crypt wendtti and anubias nana did not grow very much though. they had no co2 or ferts. there was 5 platties and 2 rcs. the fixture is a coralife 2x36w lamp, one blue actinic bulb and one 10,000k bulb. in the past the plants have gotten 12+ hrs of light but now theyre on an 8 hr timer.

im goin to start dosign excel daily and maybe invest in a pressurized co2 system later on. i know the actinic blue does nothing for the plants so i was thinking of switching it to a 6700k but was concerned i would run into major algea problems with that mugh light and not all the much co2 etc.

i guess im wondering if it would be better to dose excel and 1) run one 6700k bulb 2) run the 10,000k and a 6700k 3) just run the 10,000k or 4) run the 10,000k and the blue actinic for 8 hrs a day (maybe longer?).

sorry its so long, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd run a 10,000k daylight and the 6700k bulb. Watch for algea and then add a few ottos. If your timer and fixture will allow only run the 10,000k for a short time.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you have separate cords on your double bulb fixture then you could use the coralife digital timer. But, I got one last week and still trying to figure out how to program it. :( I got the three light one with lunar lights and it had three cords with it. You will need to try different light periods with what you got, but I'd start out with one 6700 for about 8 hous and then only two hours for the 10,000 during the eight hour period. I'll be attempting to reprogram mine this weekend so maybe I'll get it figured out by Monday. Right now both bulbs are staying on till I turn them off then I got to turn on the lunar light. If you got two timers you might be better off. I got all my lighting stuff at City Pets and were great with exchanging out the acintic bulbs.
See this thread
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...coralife-digital-power-center-timer-help.html

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I would probably just run the 10,000K lamp you already have since you are not using CO2. A 36w CF lamp should be plenty since you do not have CO2 on the tank. If you plan on adding Excel daily, you should look into adding other fertilizers (nitrates, phosphates, potassium and micros) as well. Excel will add a carbon source to the tank, making the plants grow faster. An increased growth rate in the plants will necessitate an increase in fertilizers. Five Platies and two RCS do not provide much in the way of fertilizers and when you add Excel, I doubt it will be enough.

Since you seem to like the color that the actinic bulb gives off and you do not have a separate timer, why not just turn the actinic bulb when you are actively viewing the tank?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got rid of the platties. ive now switched to 3 amano, 15 rcs and 10 harlequins. ill be gettin 5 ish threadfin rainbows in a couple weeks too though.

if i can find a used co2 system for a reasonable price i might get it. in that case it would be best to run 2 67k bulbs right?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
...in that case it would be best to run 2 67k bulbs right?
The CO2 will still be a big benefit whether or not you choose to add another bulb. Why not start off with the CO2 first, then if you feel you need more light, sell some plants and let the plant sales pay for a new bulb? My guess is that you will be more than happy with your growth rate with a single 55/65w bulb and CO2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts