Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been setting up a new, freshwater tropical tank and want have it well planted. I thought I would give online ordering a shot.

I carefully chose the types of plants I wanted and found two vendors that had them. I placed BOTH orders at the same time. They BOTH shipped at the same time and BOTH arrived at the same time. I asked for 2 day shipping from both.

Now, bare in mind, it is winter. The day I ordered them it was cold but the temp dropped to below zero between the time I placed the order and when they shipped.

Freshwater Aquarium Plants - Aquarium plants, and aquascape plant packages

Order arrived packaged in a box lined with Styrofoam sheets. All of the various plants where in separate bags, wrapped in newspaper, then ALL of them were wrapped in newspaper. There was only minor cold damage to the leaves of two of the plants. Overall, I appreciated the service.

Aquarium Plants - AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants community.

Order arrived in small, thin box. ALL of the plants where in one bad that had about 10 layers of packing tape wrapped around it. It took me quite a while to just OPEN the friggin thing! There was only ONE layer of newspaper wrapped around it. ALL of the plants where frozen and looked like boiled spinach. I managed to save a few of the Sagittaria sublata by trimming off all the dead stuff and I have about a 1/ 3 of them. The rest were a total loss! When emailed about this, they basically said, "Tough, you should have ordered overnight." (Which was around $50/ doubling the amount I was paying.)

So, do NOT order from Aquarium Plants. They will rip you off and say it's your fault.

Freshwater ROCKS!!

· Premium Member
151 Posts
Funny I just ordered from them, Wish I would have seen this first, There is a disclaimer in there verification email stating "UPS 2nd Day Air (not guaranteed-NOT for cold months."

Might be a $40 loss coming, I will report back

What gets me is you can go to the trade and swap site here and the sellers alike take the time to rap and insulate the packages, and you can request a heat pack to boot.

· Premium Member
151 Posts
Well All arrived from Aquarium Plants in healthy yet cold form, no noticeable frost bite damage, But you have to specify at least at the minimum two day overnight, especially in the winter months, for the prices of the plants which are fairly reasonable, its worth the extra shipping.

· Registered
4 Posts
I am in Canada and ordered from this company last month paying very high shipping charges. The plants were supposed to be shipped from Winnipeg which would have meant they were cleared. They were not. Part of the repercussions of this is that they were held up in customs for a week. Of course, so of the plants arrived as a pile of dark mush.

I have no problem with these types of situations in general. Trying to start something new is bound to have growing pains. What I do have a problem with is repeated emails that fail to receive answers. Additionally, these plants should have shipped again this month but have not so I question if they are even going to replace them.

I am discouraged by what I perceive as bad customer service,

· Registered
121 Posts
Thanks to all who contributed. I was considering them as well since their website is quite professional and the photos of their production facility impressive. Besides which, I had never heard of Tea, South Dakota! so looked it up. I had heard a negative about them from a local acquaintance but they said that was 2 years ago or so. The replies and postings on this store's thread are also fairly old. Has this company cleaned up their act recently? Anyone take a chance and order from them in Autumn-Winter '08 or even (gasp!) this cold January 2009?

· Registered
551 Posts
I don't have anything to say about aquariumplants.com but I have ordered from freshwateraquariumplants.com when I first set up my 125. Plants were in excellent condition and packaged extremely well. I would order from them again.

· Registered
80 Posts
Wish I had found this thread before I ordered. I am setting up a new tank and none of the local stores had what I wanted and from the confusion in trying to order what I wanted from one store I decided to role the dice and get some plants online.

I ordered 2 day from www.aquariumplants.com mainly because they had the pruning loop I wanted. The plants arrived in the expected two days but the plants were only in a thin ups box in small bubble wrap packages. No paper at all or extra insulation at all. As soon as I saw how it was packed I expected that everything was dead. Lucky for me most of the baby tears made it and I just had to trim the micro sword tips a little. The Hygro on the other hand looked like something Popeye squeezed out of a can. Part of it is my fault for not only ordering in the middle of winter but gambling on 2 day but I just expected a little more insulation in the packaging. It might not have saved the Hygro but at least more insulation would have helped with temperature shifts.

Lesson learned.

· Registered
4,116 Posts
This is the same old story. It's about inconsistency. In this hobby t's amazing how many "businesses" that considers themselves "professional" are inconsistent.

Shipping living creatures overnight is great except the high costs. And for plants it can NOT be $50. I'm about to ship a 7 lbs. box with fish overnight and the cost is $60. Of course the price varies depending on the destination, but when ordering plants 7 lbs. is not the usual order.

There is a relatively cheap way to send fish and plants safely. So far only us, Invertz Factory, does it and with great success. The cost to send a 6 lb. box is close to $20. We charge a flat $15 rate so the customer always knows what the shipping price will be. AND we can ship to destinations that are as cold as 14F! I don't want to discuss details too much because idiotic "businesses" need to figure it out themselves and start offering it to their customers. It takes quite a bit of preparation to ship like that. My point is that the standard "pay big for overnight or don't be calling us to complain" is bull. Simply put it shows that the company exists to move merchandise, not to serve their customers.

--Nikolay

· Registered
216 Posts
Freshwater Aquarium Plants had better know how to ship in the cold, they are based a couple hours south of me in Minnesota. I have never ordered from them because they never had anything I could not get from fellow forum members or the local club but they were extremely nice on the phone and spent a fair amount of time discussing plants in general and their operation in particular. One thing I did learn is that their website frequently lists things as out of stock that they have small quantities of and will sell to you if they can. So call them if you see something on their website you want that is listed as out of stock. Niko's point about inconsistency is very accurate, I think alot of hobbyists dont make the transition from hobbyist with a business to cover their hobby costs to a business serving a hobbyist market. I commend Niko and Pedro for making that transition successfully. In the end even if you love your work their is always some part of the work that falls into the "time to make the donuts category". Hobbyists often forget that aspect of business.

· Registered
121 Posts
Niko, interesting angle. The owners of aquariumplants.com in Tea, SD have a very large growing facility which is prominently displayed on their website. This is a far cry from a hobbbyist! If they were hobbyists at one time they certainly aren't now!! So, one would think that by now, they would know how to ship plants and get them there alive, or at least with the chance of arriving in good shape. If they can't use 2 day to get them to us safely then they should not even use it. This does smack of love of money over customer.

It being winter should not be an issue since I live in a very cold climate and so do they. I have received two packages of plants from members of this Forum in the last 2 weeks. One was packed with a great deal of care (styrofoam boards inside box for insulation, lots of shredded newspaper and a heating bag) and the Echinodorus tenellus arrived as mush. The other was not packed so carefully and consisted of Anubias 'Petite' and they were fine. So I am not sure what that means. I contacted both sellers and the Echinodorus seller never responded. The Anubias seller was cordial and did respond. The impression I get is that the seller of the little swords couldn't be bothered with me. And the seller of the anubias is a real hobbyist and cares about the plants and me.

In any event, I think that a company like aquariumplants.com, which brags about its customer service on it's website's front page, should back that up with service. Otherwise it is just hype, or worse, hypocrisy.

· Premium Member
8,540 Posts
It's amazing to me that these big companies can't ship plants well!! I have shipped in cold weather, (biting my nails) and had plants arrive fine. I have shipped all winter long. As long as the PO does their 3 day Priority thing fine all goes well. Only once did they loose a box, (sorry Don), and plants were mush. I seldom wrap any plants in newspaper or paper towels. It seems to not make a difference as long as I make sure to stuff the box with paper shreds. Only one plant has been hard and that is L. cuba. I just don't know why they can't figure it out. Maybe they pull the plants and they sit for a day or so BEFORE they ship them out....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.