Aquatic Plant Forum banner

My outdoor emersed setup

9K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  clay 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago, I started to make use of the unused side of my parents house. ....so I setup some emersed trays

Details:
(4) 32 cell propogation trays and high domes from Charlies Greenhouse
Flora Series hydroponic ferts
Shults Aquatic Soil
50% Shade Cloth
PC Stand

Due to the heat I am using the shade cloth to help with the high temps we get in souther california. As soon as I tie the misters into the sprinkler line, I will be able to have better (cooler) growth and will be able to use more direct sunshine without worrying about cooking the plants.
Unfortunately, the heat already killed off all my pygmaea (except the single plant in my tank). The others however, are doing just fine.

All these plants started out as single tiny plantlets. Most of the crypts were actually in poor to very poor condition to start (arived that way). Here is a sampling of the plants.

setup: the white line is the misting cable (found in the garage) that will be used later

Albida: 2 strains...green and brown..interesting.

Limnophila aromaticoides: the aromatica didn't make it so I will try that later too.

Beckettii

Dwarf Lobelia: My best grower

Wendtii Mi Oya

Parva: Damn shadow ;)

Petchii

See less See more
#4 ·
That looks cool Tony! I'm sorry about the pygmaea, if you come to the AGA conference I'll give you some more....:)

Try adding shade cloth to the side as well. We've got all sides of the greenhouses covered right now to keep the heat down inside. I'm thinking of taking my tanks outside for some good sun-lovin' too.

Keep us updated!

Best,
Phil

#5 ·
just an update

over view

Individual trays

This is some lobelia (dwarf?) that was grown emersed int he trays for a while. As of ~ July 10th, it has been in normal california air...NO humidity dome. It gets misted only 1xweek when I visit.

aromaticoides and aromatica...hmmm...they sure do look identical :wink: Now I just need them to flower

#9 ·
Clay,

You can use generic potting mix if you want. I've got a bunch of plants in some and they're doing just fine. Shultz is great stuff for more hydroponic type growing and is best if the substrate is going to be kept totally submerged.

How's TX? We miss the Chocolate Gourami here in CLT.

Best,
Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.