Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I submitted this tank to AGA eventhough it wasn't completely filled in and I sorta regret not holding out till next year when it would have had a chance to fully grow in. Now that it has had another month to grow, it is starting to look better. It is a low light tank, so growth is quite slow.

I just thought I'd show you all anyways since next month you will see its "younger" state.

Note: I am fixing the LED fixture, so I am using the PC light for the meantime. Otherwise, the tank is completely grown on LEDs

In a month or two when it has completely grown in, I'll post another update :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
wow... its very beautiful =D>
Interesting that you'll use LED lights. Is it a special LED or the just normal DC powered LED ? Does it have the requirement for plant growth ? WPG rule applies for this ? & how many LED to get 1 watt ?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Yup,
I got a bunch of cherry shrimp in there..started out with 4, but then they started reproducing in there :D

This is the Red Sea Candy XL (Azoo). it is rougly a 6" cube. without anything in the tank (ie gravel etc) it holds about 3/4g of water.

The LEDs are Luxeon Stars. I was using 7x1watt stars.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Gomer said:
Are you saying the plants grow on the LED light only? How much light gets into the tank from outside, lamps, lights and windows?

Thank you,
Edward

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have seen saltwater nano tanks that use the LEDs only. It seems there have been recent breakthroughs in the technology/price that now make this feasible. They are especially popular as moonlights, also.

What is the fertilizer schedule on this tiny beauty? I am interested in setting up a smaller planted tank and would appreciate any information you chose to share.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Edward said:
Gomer said:
Are you saying the plants grow on the LED light only? How much light gets into the tank from outside, lamps, lights and windows?

Thank you,
Edward
I am saying that it has been grown on 99% LED light. This tank sits in a room that has very heavy curtains (computer room is also my hometheater room). The only light it gets is a trickle of sunlight that reflects through dim a hallway. There is more light generated in that room from the computer monitor than sunlight. There is also some stray tank light from my 30g and then some "TV" light...and then some overhead light (2x 11watt fluorescents) when I feel like some more light.

...inotherwords, you can say that for all practical purposes, this tank's ONLY light source was LED light.

What is the fertilizer schedule on this tiny beauty? I am interested in setting up a smaller planted tank and would appreciate any information you chose to share.
S, my dosing is easy, but the explaination of numbers requires a little math LOL

I dose the flourish line: FLourish, Iron, Potassium, Phosphate, Nitrogen, and Excel

I use little dropper bottles that I measured to be 20drops/ml

(from memory, so Imight have mixed the phosphate with potassium)

I dose this 2x/week with a 40% weekly waterchange
Nitrogen: 1 [email protected] 50% dilution =1/40th mL of Flourish Nitrogen
Phosphate: 1 [email protected] 50% dilution =1/40th mL of Flourish Phoshpate
Potassium: 1 [email protected] no dilution =1/20th mL of Flourish Potassium
Flourish Iron/Flourish: 3 drops in a 70/30 ration 50% dilution=~ 1/19thmL Iron, ~1/45th mL Flourish
Flourish Excel: 5 drops @ no dilution= 1/4mL Excel

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hmm...what about CO2 Gomer? :wink:
I think that CO2 is very necessary for plant like Hemianthus callitrichoides...or I'm wrong :-k

·
Registered
389 Posts
Tony, that's not Anubias nana 'petit,' is it? Or is it? It looks more like that "marble" stuff. It's very beautiful. How big will it get? There are now so many cultivars of A. nana, my head is spinning.

Very, very nice "pico-scape" :) .

-Naomi

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually have both petite and marbled. There was a period when nutrients weren't very happy and the petite exhibited some deficiencies that looks like an interesting marbling. Fortunately/unfortunately (? LOL) this effect remained.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of nutrient deficient nana that has yielded some very interesting effects.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Gomer said:
I actually have both petite and marbled. There was a period when nutrients weren't very happy and the petite exhibited some deficiencies that looks like an interesting marbling. Fortunately/unfortunately (? LOL) this effect remained.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of nutrient deficient nana that has yielded some very interesting effects.
My apologies for hijacking your thread Tony, but I just wanted to share the most amazingly beautiful nutrient deficiency I have ever come across: Thomas Barr's Anubias barteri 'Tommy White' (a N-deficient Anubias barteri 'Marble'/'Variegated') :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
What I find amazing is that the other plants around it seem to be doing well.

Does this mean that in order to avoid overdosing/underdosing N, one needs to stay within a range of plants that have the same uptake? :?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Pretty soon your foreground will look a little like this, keep up the good work.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts