Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread some time ago, forgot who’s it was… pretty sure it was Amanda’s greenhouse fun thread but I’m too lazy to go through it to find out. Anyways, Amanda and AaronT were discussing their piptospatha perakensis and how it wasn’t propagating for them. Guess what? I checked on my emersed setup which I haven’t touched since the beginning of summer and found a baby plantlet of my piptospatha with a single leaf! I didn’t want to disturb the plant and dig it up but from the way it’s growing, the plant must propagate like crypts: by sending runners below the surface.
If I have time this week I’ll take pictures but my emersed tank is absolutely horrid looking. I had massive die off from lack of care/dehydration and there were patches of fungus growing. I rehydrated the substrate a couple months ago and now the tank is just growing wild. The fungus went unchecked though and covered up a great deal of stuff…

Now if only it’d send up a spathe.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Need some pictures ASAP. :)

Turns out I never had it. Whatever the guy sent me was an Echinodorus when it sent a flower spike. :(

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just realized I posted in the wrong forum… needa get this moved over to the emersed and physiology forum.
I'm terribly ashamed at the condition my emersed tank is in right now :oops:
The leaves that have yellow ends/brown ends were from the 1-2 months that the tank dried out and ran out of water. I have since then rehydrated the tank and the new leaves are healthy.

some lovely fungus. (I pulled out a lot of it today but before it pretty much covered everything lol. Also the hydrocotyle tripartite was growing wild so I pulled out a bunch of it.

Pictures of the plantlet. So far there's only one leaf. You can see how the first leaf already has that beautiful dark green veining. Sorry for all the plants blocking the way :( I'll remove them and hopefully we can get a better picture.

and here's a piptospatha perakensis plant that I didn't have space for so I stuck it in an empty tennis ball can for a year LOL. Amazingly it's still growing. The growth is leggy though and small leaves.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Everyone deals with that fungus man. It's my emersed setup arch nemesis. :D

That's definitely the real deal and not the one I had. Let me know when you're up for sharing and we can work out a trade. In the meantime...more snow here. :(

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, no idea how to get rid of it short of what niko suggests: repeated cycles of flooding which sounds like a lot of work to me since I'm not using a hydroponic flat :/

I'll redo my emersed tank next week and do the poor guy in the tennis ball can a favor and move him in LOL. Do you have any aroids in your collection? I can see why people like to keep aroid and crypt tanks. I'll probably get rid of all my stems since all they do is grow uncontrollably.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I'll poke my perakensis later and see what it's up to... it's sort of blocked from easy view by a Lagenandra meeboldii, which is of course a rather huge plant (as soon as my greenhouse is open I'm kicking my Echinodorus outdoors and moving the meeboldii to the "tall plants emersed tank," a 45H). It is still alive, I know that much (as is my 'Kalimantan,' though it needs a dose of fertilizer). It added a few leaves as well, but it's just not getting huge like your plant, Neil.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any chance at a list? or a link to a journal? I checked your threads here but couldn't find any

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
So, I looked at my perakensis and lo and behold, it has a whopping six leaves, though the oldest two are yellowing somewhat—I hit it with a dose of diluted flourish comp today to see if that would inspire additional growth (also because it's in the same tank as the Kalimantan, which was showing some signs of a phosphate deficiency). There's also a Lag. thwaitesii in there, which has been flowering repeatedly as of late...

...The perakensis is still a whopping 2" tall, though. *sigh*

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I looked at my perakensis and lo and behold, it has a whopping six leaves, though the oldest two are yellowing somewhat-I hit it with a dose of diluted flourish comp today to see if that would inspire additional growth (also because it's in the same tank as the Kalimantan, which was showing some signs of a phosphate deficiency). There's also a Lag. thwaitesii in there, which has been flowering repeatedly as of late...

...The perakensis is still a whopping 2" tall, though. *sigh*
how the heck did mine get so big??? I stopped fertilizing almost a year ago now LOL
maybe the secret to this is neglect :rolleyes: but i suppose it has to do with growing conditions. The very neglected plant in the tennis ball container is still roughly the same shape that I bought it in except taller. The one in the tank started to put out new fuller and thicker leaves almost immediately. I'll be uprooting the tank this weekend so I'll get some snaps of the underground structures.

·
Banned
104 Posts
I just realized I posted in the wrong forum… needa get this moved over to the emersed and physiology forum.

I'm terribly ashamed at the condition my emersed tank is in right now :oops:

The leaves that have yellow ends/brown ends were from the 1-2 months that the tank dried out and ran out of water. I have since then rehydrated the tank and the new leaves are healthy.

some lovely fungus. (I pulled out a lot of it today but before it pretty much covered everything lol. Also the hydrocotyle tripartite was growing wild so I pulled out a bunch of it.

Pictures of the plantlet. So far there's only one leaf. You can see how the first leaf already has that beautiful dark green veining. Sorry for all the plants blocking the way :( I'll remove them and hopefully we can get a better picture.

and here's a piptospatha perakensis plant that I didn't have space for so I stuck it in an empty tennis ball can for a year LOL. Amazingly it's still growing. The growth is leggy though and small leaves.

Do you cover the tank top with saran wrap?

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nope no saran wrap. I just use a plastic sheet. I think they're used for plastic dividers or something but i just taped up two of them and it forms a sheet that i just lay across the top of the tank. FYI, most people think that emersed plants needs super high humidity or something but this isn't necessarily true. I have a bunch of plants that grow uncovered just fine and California isn't all that humid. The transition from submersed to very dry humidity needs to be made gradually but regardless when I see people struggling with HC using DSM I find that they keep trying to make everything too wet which leads to mold and fungus.

·
Banned
104 Posts
nope no saran wrap. I just use a plastic sheet. I think they're used for plastic dividers or something but i just taped up two of them and it forms a sheet that i just lay across the top of the tank. FYI, most people think that emersed plants needs super high humidity or something but this isn't necessarily true. I have a bunch of plants that grow uncovered just fine and California isn't all that humid. The transition from submersed to very dry humidity needs to be made gradually but regardless when I see people struggling with HC using DSM I find that they keep trying to make everything too wet which leads to mold and fungus.
Im trying to dry start some submerged hc and i notice the leaf getting smaller and smaller each day. Not sure what happened there. Do you keep it at room temp? I have
Tank inside the garage.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im trying to dry start some submerged hc and i notice the leaf getting smaller and smaller each day. Not sure what happened there. Do you keep it at room temp? I have
Tank inside the garage.
I have my tanks outside in the backyard. It's been in the 40's-50's recently and probably maybe even 30's at night. From my experience with growing HC (which grows like a weed for me) is to not keep excessively spraying it with your mister. have your tank setup so the water line is an inch below the surface. Decrease the density of your light by 2/3- 3/4 because if you go full strength with the lights you'll use for submersed culture you'll just dry and burn the HC. Maybe cover the entire top with saran wrap for the first week but definitely leave a 1" vent afterwards.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
uprooted everything :D
Got a look at the baby piptospatha if it is a piptospatha at all. I'm starting to have my doubts. The leaf was growing from a rhizome which is odd because the mother piptospatha doesn't have a rhizome of any sort and because it was not physically connected to the mother plant. The piptospatha is right next to a group of c. kota tinggi plants so maybe this rhizome is one of them.
Anyways here are pictures

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The more I thought about it the more likely it seemed to be a kota tinggi rhizome. I ran upstairs and took it out of the bag its in right now to compare the undersides of the leaves with the mother plant. I honestly don't know at this point and I'm leaning towards it being a kota tinggi but I'll grow it out anyways and see.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Emailed Michael Lo (junglemike)
and here's his response.
It propagates by producing flower, pollinate by insects & produce seeds....

Mike
guess that means I'll have to wait for my second plant to grow nice and big and flower at the same time :roll

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
That's a parakensis. 'Kota Tinggi' has a patterned leaf.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a parakensis. 'Kota Tinggi' has a patterned leaf.
Yeah that was what I was thinking too but I figured that since some of my kota tinggi have been growing in lower humidity and putting out green leaves that it may be possible. The main thing that's putting me off is that the plantlet is from a rhizome/bulb looking thing that was no way connected to the mother plant. Leaf shape and size seem to suggest that it is a perakensis though. :confused: I guess only way to find out is to grow it out, but if it is a perakensis I'd love to figure out how it started growing haha.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts