Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to planted tanks, I did a lot of reading and finally setup my planted tank. but cannot sustain plant growth, not sure if my plants are diseased or nutrient deficiency. noticing this is all my plants in the tank

I'm trying to carpet baby dwarf tears on the forground, have grass on the background ( no fishes added)
Need some help badly...

::: SETUP :::
TANK : 40G Breeder - Aqueon
LIGHT : Odyssea Quad T5 39Wx4 lighting ( running at 7 hours a day )
SUBSTRATE : Flourite Black sand 1 inch ( for 1 inch at the bottom, washed a million times to remove the cloudiness ) Added 10 seachem root tabs across the substrate
SUBSTRATE : On top of Flourite I used Aquasoil and Aquasoil powder to make the landscape ( been reading aquasoil is more nutrient rich than Flourite :)
CO2 : Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator + and diffuser + 10 pound tank
FILTER : Fluval 406 canister starting with 1 compartment foam, 2 compartments of biomax, 1 compartment of Activated carbon as the last one.
Temperature: 26 degree Celsius, 78 degree F

::: PLANTS :::
Eleocharis Acicularis Hairgrass ( background grass)
Hydrocotyle tripartita Pennywort Plant
Baby Drwarf tears HC Cuba - foreground plant... this is dying not sure why.. :confused:

::: FISH :::
None

Any and All improvements welcome.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to planted tanks, I did a lot of reading and finally setup my planted tank. but cannot sustain plant growth, not sure if my plants are diseased or nutrient deficiency. noticing this is all my plants in the tank

I'm trying to carpet baby dwarf tears on the forground, have grass on the background ( no fishes added)
Need some help badly...

::: SETUP :::
TANK : 40G Breeder - Aqueon
LIGHT : Odyssea Quad T5 39Wx4 lighting ( running at 7 hours a day )
SUBSTRATE : Flourite Black sand 1 inch ( for 1 inch at the bottom, washed a million times to remove the cloudiness ) Added 10 seachem root tabs across the substrate
SUBSTRATE : On top of Flourite I used Aquasoil and Aquasoil powder to make the landscape ( been reading aquasoil is more nutrient rich than Flourite :)
CO2 : Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator + and diffuser + 10 pound tank
FILTER : Fluval 406 canister starting with 1 compartment foam, 2 compartments of biomax, 1 compartment of Activated carbon as the last one.
Temperature: 26 degree Celsius, 78 degree F

::: PLANTS :::
Eleocharis Acicularis Hairgrass ( background grass)
Hydrocotyle tripartita Pennywort Plant
Baby Drwarf tears HC Cuba - foreground plant... this is dying not sure why.. :confused:

::: FISH :::
None

Any and All improvements welcome.
When Aquasoil is new it releases a lot of nutrients and it also buffers the pH to be acidic. 30% water changes should be performed daily or as close to daily as possible for the first few weeks until things settle down.

A few other notes...

- That's a ton of light and you have very little plant mass in there. You should have about 5 times as many plants as you have in there to start with, maybe more. In the meantime only run 2 bulbs instead of 4 if that is possible on your fixture. You might find you don't ever need 4 bulbs. Again, 4 bulbs is a ton of light.

- HC likes a more neutral pH so when the buffering capacity of the Aquasoil starts to slow down it should recover and grow well.

- The plants you purchased were grown emergent, meaning their feet were wet, but the plants themselves were grown in open air. They will convert to submersed growth, but the old growth will eventually die off. Are you getting new growth on the HC at all?

- Aquasoil is really nice, but it has a learning curve as you found out. :D

- Lastly, don't give up. This isn't an easy hobby, but with a little effort it can be very rewarding.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
of the plants you listed, the e. acicularis and HC if bought from a retailer were most likely grown emergent meaning that some of it is melting because it's not handling the transition very well. i'd turn up the co2 and definitely take out 1 or 2 bulbs. as aaron said above you don't have enough plant mass to warrant all that light yet.

also you should upgrade your co2 diffusion method. look into an inline reactor because a small ceramic disk diffuser isn't going to cut it for a tank that size unless you have the co2 mist feeding into the inlet pipe or something.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Neil and Aaron make good points. Ammonia from new aquasoil can harm plants like HC easily. Can you do an ammonia test and see if there is ammonia in the water?

Emersed HC also frequently has some die off.

Also, emersed grown HC can develop a fungal infection when it is stored too long in damp conditions. It is possible that the HC developed this when it was in transit to your tank and is simply dying off from that. Don't worry if this is the cause then it will stop soon as the fungus cannot survive underwater.

Reducing the lighting until you get more plants in there is a good idea.

Welcome to APC!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts