Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 20 gallon high planted tank, 60 watts of fluorescent lighting, the nutrafin co2 fermentation kit, and i dose with the regular pps pro regime. (one bottle of mixture with csm+b, and bottle of of mixture with KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, and MgSO4.) I recently switched from using just regular flourish.

Before the fertilizer switch they were doing really bad, but they are doing better now. The thing is, some of my plants are starting to turn brown on the very edge of the leaves(hygrophila difformis, and water sprite.) The other plants in my tank are hygrophila corymbosa "kompact", echinodorous bleheri, didpilis diandra. they are doing okay, except for the diandra with was in bad shape when i bought it, but it is slowly growing more greenage.

So i was wondering what is causing the brown edges. also, if anyone notices something that is wrong with my setup, please tell me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You have a C02 deficiency.
The nutrafin contraption is for a low light tank.
You need a pressurized system with good diffusion
for the amount of light you have.

Regards

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant afford a co2 system, would it help to have a second diy setup? also, i just bought some plants online and some require high light. would i still be able to keep these? how much light am i able to have?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, a second DIY setup will help. In a 20 gallon tank, going over 40 watts would put you on the "higher light" range, using the old 2wpg rule. How are you diffusing your CO2? Make sure surface agitation is fairly low to keep your CO2 in the tank.

Your watersprite and difformis are likely showing the effects first because they are the fastest growers in your tank and show pains first.

Now that you have high light and are dosing complete ferts, the only missing ingredient is the CO2. Before, they were lacking in ferts and CO2 both, so their growth was restrained. Their faster growth due to the ferts is probably also sucking up more carbon from the water column.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts