Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd share some of my recent cherry shrimp pics:

I also have quite a few Crystal Reds in the tank:

The tanks is a 46g bow front that was given to my by a friend. There are roughly 400 cherry shrimp and 125 crystal reds in the tank now.

The substrate is Eco-Complete.

The plants are najas grass, jave moss, taiwan moss, jave fern, apons, and crypts.

I keep the water at 78F and the PH is around 7.6.

I only run air driven sponge filters and change 25% of the water weekly.

I've had very good luck with breeding them and my shrimp have great coloration. They are feed HBH Algae Wafers and HBH Crab & Lobster Bites.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow what a heaven for shrimps! Those cherries must breeding like mad, I guessing there are more than 400.
Your CRS looks very high grade, do you they breed well with PH 7.6?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Very nice brightly colored shrimp -- thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dancer said:
Wow what a heaven for shrimps! Those cherries must breeding like mad, I guessing there are more than 400.
Your CRS looks very high grade, do you they breed well with PH 7.6?
Yeah, my shrimp seen to really enjoy the tank setup and they do breed like crazy. There probably are more than 400 shrimp in the tank at this point but I sell a lot so I never really know the exact shrimp count.

My crystal reds have been breeding pretty steadily for the past few months. I have close to 75 babies at this point. I initially tried to keep them in a 5g tank but they did not reproduce at all. I moved them to a 20g tank and they started to crank out babies like crazy. I'm hoping that continues in my 46g tank. I imported a bunch of high grade crystals from Singapore last week so I'm planning to breed them this winter.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of shrimp!...Nice tank for breeding also.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice pictures! I bought some cherry shrimp from you and mine are doing great and breeding like crazy in a 50 gallon. If you have any crystals for sale, let me know. I take it they don't interbreed.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Wow, nice pics!

I guess that sort of challenges the theory about Crystal Reds not breeding in temps above 76°.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JanS said:
Wow, nice pics!

I guess that sort of challenges the theory about Crystal Reds not breeding in temps above 76°.
Thanks!

Yeah, I've had my tank consistently at 78F and my Crystal Red breed like crazy. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dancer said:
Did you measure for nitrate? I am just wondering if nitrate can kill CRS or not.
My nitrates are very very low b/c I keep a lot of fast growning plants in the tank. High nitrates are deadly to all shrimp.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey,

Do you find that your male Cherry Shrimp are significantly lighter than your females? If so, do you think that has hurt the coloration of the offspring?

When you are ready to sell some Crystal Reds, let me know :)

Ben

·
Registered
404 Posts
Cherries will get much redder as they get older. I have two in my tank that are probably reaching the end of their life cycle that are blood red.

·
Registered
66 Posts
JanS said:
Wow, nice pics!

They will have a problem to breed at 82F or above. 76F is a perfect temperature for them, they show best color at 72F.

Just dont let temperature goes above 82F for long term, eggs carrying female will die easily in this temperature. And the chance of them carry eggs and full color is low.

·
Registered
671 Posts
How much do shrimp like these go for? I particularly like the red/white ones......is one kind better than the other at controling algae?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts