Aquatic Plant Forum banner

My Shrimp Pics...

6K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  amber2461 
#1 ·
I just thought I'd share some of my recent cherry shrimp pics:

I also have quite a few Crystal Reds in the tank:

The tanks is a 46g bow front that was given to my by a friend. There are roughly 400 cherry shrimp and 125 crystal reds in the tank now.

The substrate is Eco-Complete.

The plants are najas grass, jave moss, taiwan moss, jave fern, apons, and crypts.

I keep the water at 78F and the PH is around 7.6.

I only run air driven sponge filters and change 25% of the water weekly.

I've had very good luck with breeding them and my shrimp have great coloration. They are feed HBH Algae Wafers and HBH Crab & Lobster Bites.

See less See more
#4 ·
dancer said:
Wow what a heaven for shrimps! Those cherries must breeding like mad, I guessing there are more than 400.
Your CRS looks very high grade, do you they breed well with PH 7.6?
Yeah, my shrimp seen to really enjoy the tank setup and they do breed like crazy. There probably are more than 400 shrimp in the tank at this point but I sell a lot so I never really know the exact shrimp count.

My crystal reds have been breeding pretty steadily for the past few months. I have close to 75 babies at this point. I initially tried to keep them in a 5g tank but they did not reproduce at all. I moved them to a 20g tank and they started to crank out babies like crazy. I'm hoping that continues in my 46g tank. I imported a bunch of high grade crystals from Singapore last week so I'm planning to breed them this winter.

#19 · (Edited)
JanS said:
Wow, nice pics!

I guess that sort of challenges the theory about Crystal Reds not breeding in temps above 76°.
They will have a problem to breed at 82F or above. 76F is a perfect temperature for them, they show best color at 72F.

Just dont let temperature goes above 82F for long term, eggs carrying female will die easily in this temperature. And the chance of them carry eggs and full color is low.

#21 ·
Those red and white ones are Crystal Red Shrimps (CRS), think they originate from Japan. In Singapore, the Grade A ones can cost ~S$20-50 per shrimp (That would US$11.80-29.40). Grade S would be S$50 or more. Then there are Grade SS ones... :)

Cherry shrimps (those reddish ones) are cheaper... They go like S$1 (~US$0.60) per shrimp....

I would like to find out how much they are selling for in the States...

#23 ·
Justikanz said:
Those red and white ones are Crystal Red Shrimps (CRS), think they originate from Japan. In Singapore, the Grade A ones can cost ~S$20-50 per shrimp (That would US$11.80-29.40). Grade S would be S$50 or more. Then there are Grade SS ones... :)

Cherry shrimps (those reddish ones) are cheaper... They go like S$1 (~US$0.60) per shrimp....

I would like to find out how much they are selling for in the States...
Yes, the red and white ones are crystal red shrimp. They vary in quality. Unfortunately, most of the ones available in the US are low quality and do not display distinct red and white banding. The low quality ones are usually selling for $5-$7 each.

The high grade crystal reds are usually from Asia and go from $15-$30 each.

The majority of the shrimp in my pics are Cherry Reds. They are readily available and should be around $2-$4 from most vendors. I sell mine for $.75 each.

#24 ·
Ben Belton said:
You can get the red ones here in the US easliy on Aquabid. I bought some from VinneyMac once with good service. He sends very tiny ones, but the younger shrimp adapt to new tanks better than older ones. So this is a good thing.

Ben
Thanks for the endorsement. I do sell my extras through out the year. I always ship younger shrimp because they adapt to new conditions a lot better than the mature adults. The young shrimp I sell are usually 6-8 weeks old and reach sexual maturity in 8-10 weeks.

#26 ·
I saw Crystal Reds in Japan for about 1000 Yen which is a little less than $10, but once you paid for shipping, I'm sure they would be back close to the higher prices.

There was a good auction for some one aquabid recently. I think vinnymac won it. If I had a place to put them, I would have beat him :)

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.