Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There i present me and greetings. Some photos and data of my hi-tech tank.

Cap: 100 lits.
Tap water: 24 Gh - 8 Kh
Co2: max tolerate from fishs (20-30 mg/l aprox)
Temp: 22ºC (night) - 25/26ºC (day)
Light: a lot of... thousands w/liter !! :D At full sun in the yard.
Fertilizer dayly: NPK

Some pictures i take in the last weeks.
Any comments are welcome.

General view, at one moth ago

Hetheranthera, Limnophila aormatica and others

Eusterrallis, Didiplis and Rotala

Here all the rest pictures
Regards.

Pd: Updated the links

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, i´m glad if you like my little pool Really is the most luxurious fountain from my sparrows and somes dragonfly !! :D

Jdinh04, the tank is on my yard, is not a public place, no problem.

More info more info... let´s me see....
substrate: below is a mix of older fine gravel, on top a few ctms, of Flourite (Seachem)
Co2: presurized at 24h. When the fish go up at the surface at breathe, then i take the phmeter and to keep this level only a tenths below. Now: ph 6,3
Fertilizer: well, just i have trying at low levels of No3. But in "standart" situations add everyday: N 2 ppm - P 0,03 ppm - K 3 ppm
Fe: 2-3 doses per week, but low levels.... about 0,03 ppm every doses.
Trace: very irregular, every 20-30 days add 1 ml Flourish.

The evaporation is bestial, everyday 5 lit.
the change of water in winter is minimo, 10 lit every week. In summer, when i use this water from the plant´s garden, i can change 10 lt. every day.

Fauna: 3 otocinclus - 12-15 Rasbora & Albonubes and a lot of snails.

As you can see, the maintenance is no-orden... :neutral:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi,
yes, there are algae, but in a amount i think "reasonable".
As I see it "direct sunlight causes algae"?, not. The sunlight CAN be the unleasher, but not direct responsable. The question is set a ambient stable along the time, because i think is fundamental a daily fertilize.

Perdon me aiport english !! :???:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi niko,
yes, this is a very interesting theme from me. I too knew this "myth" because i get out my tanks... i wanna believe iit, ... but i cann´t :D
too much = algae, welll, lets me see it.
I have always thought what recommend levels of iron was too much high. My experience with quelate iron (now i use Flourish Iron) is what levels>0,5 = algae. Water? balance N-Fe? i don´t know, i used tapwater with Kh 8, Gh24 and ph 7,4 (in South-East of Spain the water is very hard).

The substrate is a older mix of other tanks, with 90% fine gravel and 10% clay+MO+vegetable rest (and earthworm of my garden ;) ). Like this

In my personal page (in spanihs, of course) you can see other photos about progress in the last months.

Now, the first problem is the temperature, for the fishs not plants... my 300 w heater is ON all the night. For the plants the "problem" more serius is the period of light, because, for example, i think my rotala indica, after four moths submersed look like this:

just this plant in my tank inside home have fine and large leaves :-s ,
look the limnophila aromatica

When the plant just go out of the denseness stop the growth and turning very slowly, i think this is blame of light period, but i don´t sure.
Other curiosus problem is the abrupt change between shadow and light.The plants suffer a soft whiten.This photo was make with flash from exposition control and white balance.

well, i think this is a minor problem.

Pd: i hope you can understand my english. :neutral:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
MTechnik said:
I wonder if you could do a 30 outdoors with like 8 100w heaters... I mean, it's snowing now, but if you had many heaters dispersed through the tank, it may work... 1 big heater would make just 1 part of the tank warm, but if you had 'em dispersed...

-MT
Sure, but i can hide one heater!! Where do you hide 8 heaters? :-s
Here, the winter will finish soon. Some advantage must be live in the European desert zone (even though this year had snow for first time in thirty years!! Murphy where you are?)

Thank you all again, hope only somebody encourage to test it!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes, all was make under sunlight except the macros: didiplis, limn. aquatica, myriophillum and heteranthera, that was make with a GROWLUX at the night, by eliminate reflections.
The general views moreover with polarizer filter, and all photos with Nikon D-70+ micro nikkor 55mm

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
cS said:
Wow. The light is so intense that many of the plants are producing leaves, typical of emersed growth, submersed. :shock:
I don´t sure, but i suspect this not-transformation is prompted because a short light period not from intensity of light, but any case is enough rare.

cS said:
I had a 10G tank outside last summer, but the biggest problem I had was how to protect the equipments from the rain. Would you show/tell us how you are able to achieve this? Thanks.
Rain? What it is? :D I haven´t this problem, no rain. Look..

Below you can see the Fluval 104 and at the back the Co2 bottle.

cS said:
I do not recall where I've read this but scientists working with water bodies in Florida, USA (many of which are clear and beaming with plants) say that, all things equal, water clarity is caused and maintained if a body of water is comprised of at least 30% plant matter by volume.
i don´t know, but i think this percentage is too much high...most our tanks have dense plants very more high that in the nature. Of course, if only sunlight was directly responsible for algae reproduction, our rivers would be green by now :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
cS said:
Hmmm. Perhaps. From observations in my own tank, as plants reach the light but still below the water surface, the leaves suddenly became very broad, as if ready to transform into emersed growth. I've always equated this with the higher light intensity. I wonder: why does a shorter light period induce larger leaves (and in the case of your Limnophila aromatica, less leaves per node)? If I were to reduce my lighting from 12 hr/day to 6 hr/day, would I start getting larger leaves (and less leaves per node)? Whatever the cause, I am amazed at the incredible similarities. Really neat. :D
good question! but i don´t, i hope this summer to leave doubts.

cS said:
::laughs:: So lucky. :axe: How dry is it in Cartagena?
About 300 mm/year..,.. and the total is falling today!! :D

cS said:
I agree that sunlight isn't the sole determinant. It merely provides the energy to sustain a bloom, not initiate it. I simply quoted that study because it reinforces the advice we've so often heard: stuff the tank full of plants to prevent algae. Why? No one knows for sure, but it works.

I thought that it was funny that we've seen plants-filled lakes/rivers bathed in sunlight that are so clear; yet we've never made the connection that the same can be achieved in an aquarium...until you came along. :mrgreen: Thomas Barr would probably argue that the reason why your tank is not green is because all that plants are sucking up all the NH4, preventing its build-up, which he believes to be the stimulus for green water under high light.

As to why rivers do not turn green, I think it is because rivers possess a relatively fast flow rate. The turn over of water is much too high for suspended species of algae (those responsible for the green murky hue) to proliferate, even if the nutrient levels are high, light is abundant, 0% plant coverage, and you dump in a bunch of NH4. In fact, you can prove this for yourself: take a sample of water from your river and place it under direct sunlight. I am confident that it will turn green in no time. [smilie=k:

---Sorry for taking the thread off topic. Back to pretty pictures. [smilie=l:[/QUOTE]
I agree, ;) not off-topic!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanx for all,
BudiPT, I envy you too :) (your ponds are fantastics) . In my region we have three cold months really hard from the tropical plants. Is true, it is easier to warm up the water that to cool it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
:D thank you,
Flourish ór Flourite? Any case, After I have tested both and dont perceived significant changes... The flourite or any other, I prefered a soil about 7-8 centimeter or more.

PO4 (about 1-2 ppm) help me at control of spot algae, when this level are lower it begins to increase the spot algae poblation. The only i make is maintain stable the levels of PO4 vs Fe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Re: My sunny tank in the street - photo sesion

Hi all,
thanxk you for your comments.

Haeun, this fishs are "Gourami Golden" (Trichogaster trichopterus). This photos are not of outside tank.

pyramid, the branches in this photos are of lemon tree. ( https://flic.kr/p/94180757 )

Black_Lung in summer we put a "shading mesh" (?¿ i dont sure the correct translation , ) over the yard and the temperature of the water dont exceed the 28-30 ºC, and as i use this water in my flowerpots is not problem, in winter is more difficult, the temperatura down at 5-10 ºC.

An last question, all photos in set ACUARIO ( http://www.trebol-a.com/photos/album/acuario/ ) do not correspond at the outside tank, some (like Gourami pictures) correspond to others tanks.
In this other set : http://www.trebol-a.com/photos/tags/patio/ , all pictures (of tanks :D ) are the outside tank.

Regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.