Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I like your tanks very much, especially the 5 g cube. Cubes are excelent tanks to aquascape because you can give them four different forms of layout, not to mention the form of the tank itself wich i personally like. When the glosso forms the carpet, it will become even more beautiful.

As for the Co2 directly in the canister, i think it very much depends on your type of canister filter. If you have Fluval, i don´t recommend it. If you have Eheim, i think there´s no problem. All in all its just a question of trying. If the filter becomes too noisy, then its probably because it has Co2 bubbles trapped in.

Keep us updated.

André

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Amazing!

Just by looking at the tank I'd swear it is a bigger tank, at least 30 gals. That is the second best 10 gal. tank I've ever seen and it is not even finished yet. It looks very natural and has no dead areas. I don't feel like someone "made it", it looks more like the plants grew perfectly by themselves without intervention.

To me personally it's very impressive to see how the 4 dark branches starting from the left and going to the back of the tank seem to get smaller "in the distance". Beautiful illusion of depth!

The tank is not finished yet but I think it needs 4 things:
- A denser Isoetes on the background (the tall skinny leafed plant).
- "Dark areas", areas that are formed by the shadows and add a lot of depth to the aquascape (like the space right under the Monoselenium).
- Meticulous trimming of the stem plants with short stems in front and taller in the back so the plants form bunches that look fuller.
- More stems of the red plant, but not too many :)

Also if it is possible at all :-D... A few dark, maybe grey, rocks in the foreground may enhance this great (small) aquascape.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Nice going there, Carlos! Just by looking at the spray bar, why doesn't that look like the ZooMed 501??? hahaha, so you did get it, huh?! How is it working for ya? And I have just cleaned mine at my friend's place yesterday because I gave my turtles to her to take care of while I was away.

Paul

·
Registered
302 Posts
Standards must be pretty high to call such a tank ugly :)

I really like how it looks rather like how a field would look and though the plants appear blended some the groups still stand out. Praps a background would be nice.

BTW, are those wee stripey things Ep. annulatus?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
David said...
That thing really filled in nicely! Good luck keeping up on the pruning.
It isn't fully filled in yet. Still a little bit more to go (2-4 weeks). Plants need to grow out AND color up. Foreground needs to be denser.

Niko said...
Also if it is possible at all ... A few dark, maybe grey, rocks in the foreground may enhance this great (small) aquascape.
If only this little tank were bigger. The foreground is only about 0.5" wide, an 1" at most.

turtlehead said...
is that filter, the zoomed better than an aquaclear? and whered you get that 5 g cube? whats your dosing routine?
The zoomed mini canitser is MUCH better than any nano HOB filter. The zoomed mini creates clear water without any turbulence. It is excellent for the 10g or smaller aquarium. I use it also on my 5g where it creates the perfect amount of current. I got my 5g cube from a friend in Los Angeles who shipped it to me when it became available at his LFS.

nonamethefish said...
I really like how it looks rather like how a field would look and though the plants appear blended some the groups still stand out. Praps a background would be nice.

BTW, are those wee stripey things Ep. annulatus?
Noname, there is already a background -- and it is white posterboard. I do not want to use a black background. The 5g has also had its background replace with a white one. I far prefer it to black.

The fish are half a dozen Nannostomus espei, the only denizens of this aquarium and the stars of the tank. I also have two pairs of scarlet badis and two otos in this tank.

Carlos

·
570 Posts
Hi Carlos,

I can see you have followed my advise on the position of driftwood... looks better.

i would try get more density in rigth back corner... but isoetes is not a quick grower, maybe with some c. balansae or retrospiralis it would look better

This is the photo-composition i tried send you... but i never got it

Greetings from Spain

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Xema,

Considering I've already trimmed the Isoetes twice within only a month's time, it is not growing that slow... so I think it will will be filled in nicely in about a month. I do not want it to get too dense, as the background plants in that area will get shaded -- those will be more important to the display of this layout than the Isoetes.

And yes, I did follow your advice. It was a stroke of genius to move that branch in that position. Thanks!

Carlos

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
All right... decided to take a snap shot of the 5g cube. Looks okay but still needs work. My photography REALLY needs work -- the mass of green Rotala rotundifolia "green" and Micranthemum umbrosum and Hemianthus micranthemoides comes out as an amorphous green blob.

Carlos

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.