Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a Platy who has been slowly losing weight over the last several weeks, seeming much worse this week. I also had two other Platies die 3 and 5 months ago. One, I had assumed had been bullied to the point of ill health (similar symptoms to this little guy). The other (female) I assumed had been hare added to ill health. Her death seemed more sudden and she didn’t really waste, but wasn’t seeming herself, less interest in food, etc.

I read Diana’s article about mycobacteriosis last night, which kind of freaked me out. And today I found a thread posted on here by @mistergreen, which seems to confirm this little guy (who has never been bullied etc) probably has MB, and potentially the earlier two deaths as well.

So now that makes me wonder about the rest of the fish in that tank, as well as the health of two Platy girls who were raised from fry in that tank and recently moved to the new natural planted tank I set up in late October. The young girls have had white poop the last few days, which I’ve read can be a sign of a parasite, but the video on here said it can also be associated with MB.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing from here?
- I know I my one guy needs to be euthanized ... do I need to be getting him tested to confirm MB?
- for my smaller tank that he’s living in, im assuming from Diana’s article that I can try using a UV filter, and (from the video on here) possibly adding som vitamin C and/or feeding levamisole? Current tank mates are two other male Platies, a corydora and two rams horn snails
- for my larger, natural tank ... ?? Not sure if I treat for parasites, wait and see, or?? Tank mates are glowlight tetras, neocaridina shrimp, and snails (rams horn plus one mystery)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Here's everything you need to know and how to treat.

I went through this and I did the usual med but ultimately I wound up culling and weekly vacuuming and water changes to keep up the fish immunity.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Levamisole is water soluble btw. You don’t need to add it to fish food. Most fish will spit it out anyway. It smells chemically. Aim for 2ppm in your tank. It’s invert safe besides roundworms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Levamisole is water soluble btw. You don't need to add it to fish food. Most fish will spit it out anyway. It smells chemically. Aim for 2ppm in your tank. It's invert safe besides roundworms.
Excellent, thanks for that. I was assuming it would be a "mix with food" thing. I found that video very helpful, although a little depressing. Really hoping that it's only going in one of my tanks, and not the new one that has newer fish in it and some Platy babies coming soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts