Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is Myriophyllum sp. 'Guinea'. It has a very small crown that has a width of about half an inch. It tends to grow slower than most Myriophyllums. These are grown in both medium and high light with co2. Due to its small size, they are great for nano tanks.

Staurogyne repens in the front.

Ruler for size reference

Cuphea shown on the bottom right of the photo for size reference.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Nice plant! As quite a number of "Guinea" plants is popping up in the trade in recent years, I wonder who collected them, and where in Guinea.
Seems to be similar to Myriophyllum mezianum from Madagascar. It would be interesting to compare "Guinea" and mezianum under same conditions.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice plant! As quite a number of "Guinea" plants is popping up in the trade in recent years, I wonder who collected them, and where in Guinea.
Seems to be similar to Myriophyllum mezianum from Madagascar. It would be interesting to compare "Guinea" and mezianum under same conditions.
Hi miremonster. Not to sure who actually collected them, but the original plant was given to me by a friend in Japan. From what I can recall of M. mezianum, they were a softer plant. This 'guinea' species seems to be a lot more ridged than M. mezianum. I have yet to see M. sp. guinea turn red under very high light, considering the ones taken photos are all under high lights. M. mezianum actually grows even slower than 'guinea'.

Sadly I do not have M. mezianum to actually grow side/by side to compare. It would be interesting to see the results.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Heiko,
I can not find anywhere the name of Myriophyllum sp. 'Guinea',
Manini's plant is similar to my Myriophyllum sp. Guyana
http://blog.aquaritet.com/2011/04/myriophyllum-sp-guyana.html
Hi Vadim, The plants look very similar but my 'Guinea' species is a lot more fuller and the leaf structure looks thicker. I will take some macro photos and top photos so that you can see the difference. Then again, it could be the same but just grown in different environmental conditions.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hi manini,
ok, if they look different only because of different conditions: perhaps Your friend in Japan could help by tracing back the trader of the "Guinea". Maybe only a misreading of "Guyana".
@Vadim: By any chance, was Your M. "Guyana" sold in Asia, particularly Japan?

-Heiko

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.