Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a plant many years ago when I was first starting out in the hobby. It was similar in appearance to hygro. polysperma, except the stem was more sturdy like Hygrophila corymbosa. The leaves were not quite as wide as corymbosa though. It used to grow quite well in low light (30 watts of regular fluorescent light with no CO2) no ferts. At the nodes I seem to remember a bit of a knot, or bulge, a little like a knuckle.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? It is not in the plant finder.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Any chance it could have been Telanthera?

EDIT: I think I meant Alternanthera 'lilacina'

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
There are a lot of Hygrophila corymbosa varieties. Perhaps it was one of them. They are all a lot bigger than H. polysperma.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Our plantfinder shows three corymbosa varieties, and we are always looking for photos and descriptions of more. Kasselmann shows four in pictures, three in the text. There are probably more new forms coming in as collectors hunt new areas.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Siamensis.

It is the narrow leaf version of Corymbosa.

Stricta is the broad leaf one with what looks like tree leaves.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it might have been siamensis. It it looked like this picture, except the leaves were a little thinner and not as dense. Could this be because the the light were low (30 watts of T8 on a 38g)?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Yup, what you see there are very young stems - when it grows out, node length will increase, and stem gets almost like a thin tree branch.

Stricta does the same thing, just with far wider leaves. I kept Stricta for a couple of years before finally giving it up for the space.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
*edit*

Um... I managed to find a very old picture of the exact plant I am talking about. Can someone positively ID it? It is to the left of the wood (only a 2 MP olympus camera - ewww). Cavan?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The closest thing I have seen is Tropica's Hygrophila corymbosa 'siamensis 53b'

1 - 13 of 13 Posts