Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last week i put some plants in my tank and they were pearling away. i have good light and co2. Now all of a sudden my plants stopped pearling, no algae. I noticed my Erio's were showing white growth, maybe be micro deficiency. So i dose a lot of micro's to make sure the plant has plenty of uptake... but no pearling in any plant (Even ones without deficiency still. So i turn off the lights dose macros and wait 2 hours. Turn lights back on wait for 45 minutes (They used to pearl in 15) and NO PEARLING. this leads me to believe that organics are either breaking down and consuming N and Oxygen or that my plants are still deficient in something. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well last week i put some plants in my tank and they were pearling away. i have good light and co2. Now all of a sudden my plants stopped pearling, no algae. I noticed my Erio's were showing white growth, maybe be micro deficiency. So i dose a lot of micro's to make sure the plant has plenty of uptake... but no pearling in any plant (Even ones without deficiency still. So i turn off the lights dose macros and wait 2 hours. Turn lights back on wait for 45 minutes (They used to pearl in 15) and NO PEARLING. this leads me to believe that organics are either breaking down and consuming N and Oxygen or that my plants are still deficient in something. Any ideas?
Shane, I am running into the same problem. Whenever I changed out my DIY CO2 with a new batch of yeast, my HM starts to pearl immediately like crazy. However, after a few days the plants stop pearling even when the lights come on. The DIY CO2 bottle is still producing CO2 because I have a bubble counter in-line with my CO2 reactor.

Does anyone have any ideas of what's causing this lack of pearling?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I would guess that something is using up the extra O2 that the plants are producing. If you are keeping a normal fert schedule I wouldn't worry much about it unless you see definite signs of defficiency or loss in growth.

Just because you don't see pearling, it doesn't mean the plants aren't growing. It just means the waer is not becoming saturated with O2.

-Dave

Edit: If your substrate is old, there may be heavy organic accumulation that is breaking down and utilizing that O2. BryceM started a thread titled "Old tank syndrome", you might read through.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same suspicion, I use a lot of peat which maybe be using o2. Also very few plants in tank, if i add more o2 levels may saturate quicker

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Check your pH when the plants are pearling well, and then when they are not. If the pH is higher when they are not, then the lack of pearling is likely due to less CO2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts