Aquatic Plant Forum banner

81 - 100 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ahh yes those lights , there is a tank that does go with them . Its a one gallon 'cube' type tank , hoodless but colorful. Most dont like the crayon colors that the base is. For the life of me i cannot think of the name. I have seen them all over the place.
Id go for the evaporation control over the coolness of the brandy sniffer tank. (Im dealing with evaporation issues in the 29 gallon right now , ugh!)

Oh and jrIL , sick? Is that good or bad?

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
So Morbida, when dealing with the 'culture' that comes with working in an office which tank would you recommend that would look / work really well while NOT attracting TOO MUCH attention?

That may be a toughie. I figure Nano flies under the 'radar' most of the time.

I know from the desk to the light in the cubicle is 18". I have not really seen a lot of options in the stores nearby.

I would love to see what that tank is that goes with the Galaxy Lights. I called Foster & Smith. They sell the lights. But not the tanks that go with them. Shucks.

I am thinking of in the future bringing in 2 shrimp and much, much later 2 Endlers to put in this 1 (maybe 2+ in the future) gallon tank.

What do you think? What direction should this Nano go in now?

·
Registered
125 Posts
You want under the radar the brandy sniffer works. It's vase like. Just two shrimp would be stunning enough. And you can claim easier that they arent a distraction.:)

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I can do that. Wal*Mart - here I come!

2 shrimp & 2 Endlers when my current fry give birth to their own fry.

I currently have 3 males and 4 females and one of those females looks big!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Unfortunately, no.

Work has been so incredibly nuts for such a long time. I have been lucky to even look at my Betta Bowl once in a while. Good thing I don't have to dose the plants anymore.

New leaves continue to look great. Old leaves are showing their age. I am not sure if dosing with Seachem Iron would help with that or not.

Morbida I would love to see you try a set up. I think you would do well with a Nano. And there are so many helpful members here that will help out each step of the way.

The home tanks are getting all of my attention nowadays. I get to share them with my kids. My son got to bring home from school for vacation a small african frog and some fiddler crabs. I am hoping we do well by them. From what my son and his teacher told me - we are kind of winging it. Tubifex cubes seem like they might do the trick. The frog (boy is he small!) is currently in my regular 10 gallon tank. That tank is almost empty of fish - put the female Betta Wilma in the 27 Gallon 1/2 Hex along with the one left Black Neon. I think the Black Neon feels better being with a shoal in the larger tank. I was just about to add a 1 inch layer of soil underneath that substrate. I may still do that.

My son also said that the fiddler crabs and frog do well on Brine Shrimp. I don't think he meant freshly hatched Brine Shrimp. I think he meant cubes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do do better with a nano. I have my 5 gallon started again.

Id be doing some more research on that frog and crab, like with fish I really dont think brine shrimp are the best all time food for them. I think of brine shrimp as treats or junk food for fish , unless they are babies and thats the size they can eat. For some reason I see some kind of worm in your future. Yummah. Sometimes I think I read too much.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
For now the future holds tubifex worms. In cubes.

I have enough different foods to starve my fish, underfeed them. And then give them a tiny amount of something every day. Let them figure out which is what and how fast to eat it.

Now if only I could get the extra food to the Malaysian Trumpet Snails (brand new) without getting them to the other snails (ha, ha).

So long as they stay out of my filters, I don't mind snails too much.

I can't wait to see your 5 Gallon aquarium photos. Dataguru is amazing with those.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Morbida, thank you.

I have just learned from John N. that Endlers can live in my 1 Gallon Tank (2 of them - Male) without a filter just fine if I change the water on a regular basis. I am so happy to learn how adaptable these fish are!

I will have to wait until my 7 Endler Fry from my 10 Gallon El Naturale grow up or multiply. And right now, both my shrimp and Endlers are doing fantastic in that tank. The more I learn about Endlers the happier I am.

I am still trying to figure out if I want to switch to a 2.5 Gallon rectangular or go back to the 2.5 gallon Brandy Wine Glass vase.

What do you all think?

If the 2.5 Gallon Brandy Wine Glass, I am considering a lazy suan to put underneath it so I can turn it without spilling or breaking the tank.

If I get rectangular with the glass lid (cuts down on evaporation) then I am thinking of adding the Galaxy & Palm Compact Fluorescent Lights

Do they have tanks that come with these light? I can't find them.
Hey Jimbo,

Don't know if you have chosen a new container yet....but while the brandy wine set up was nice aesthetically, it being so fragile with think glass and prone to tip overs scares me. I can imagine the betta being really scared when that happened!

Kristen~

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Kristen, I have a nice vase in the back seat of my car just waiting for the right time. I just have not had the right time at work (before or afterwards or on the weekend) to make the change. This one is basically the same size as my current one (1 gallon I am guessing) but the glass is much nicer and I think easier to see through. It is round with a flat bottom of glass. I hope it looks more appealing. I may eventually get a larger Nano down the road sometime.

At a place like work, you have to make sure the boss knows that you are working hard in addition to the little luxuries we sometimes put in our office space.

I am also hoping that the family digital camera's lens starts opening again. Or I may need to wait until I trade it in for an upgrade (when I have the $ for that). I hope that is not too long.

To prevent broken glass in the future, I think I may invest in a lazy susan so I can appreciate it from all sides without having to worry about the stress on the glass.

I would love to see what others have for Nanos in their offices. That would be a cool 'contest' or photobook. Office Nanos. What do you think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Jimbo,

The brandy glass really is nice. Wouldn't ya know, i was at walmart today and saw it and it really is huge (it looks tiny in your pictures) and ended up buying one for my new half moon betta. It's sitting on my desk but I am so afraid to tip it over. a lazy susan is a great idea :)

the office nano idea is excellent by the way. I doubt I will have such nice planted one like yours so I am embarrassed to share it--it has a strand of anubias, some frogbit, some smooth pebbles and a java moss mat that i am waiting to grow in. I have some other plants like foxtail which is rough i realize and not at all appropriate for bettas (especially this one, his tail is gorgeous) and i notice his tail sticking to the christmas moss so i took that out.

~Kristen

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Kristen, give it a shot. I would love to see it.

I love to see what others have.

All it takes is a digital camera (that works) and you are all set!

What color is the Half Moon Betta? I can't wait to see your tanks and plants.

Jimbo

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
My new leaves are dark green and look great. Some of my old leaves are yellow and look like heck.

Should I just clip the old ones or would some Seachem ferts bring the old leaves back?

What do you think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Jimbo,

I am still trying to remember how to post pictures from my snapfish account, i used to know how! My halfmoon is i think some sort of mustard gas, very little coloring on his body but peach fins outlined in black. I am absolutely in love with halfmoons now. Pictures to come....

Kristen~

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Catherine, thank you. This will be easier to do now. There are some good leaves very close to the yellow ones. I may even in the future cut the Rhizome in half to either spread to another tank or share with someone.

I have always found the Seachem Dosing to be easy. The biology part of this hobby and the garden outside is the most challenging. Each plant seems so unique.

Kristen, that Halfmoon sounds beautiful.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Well, I have that really nice new 'bowl' in the trunk of my car that I will eventually use. (Timing at work is EVERYTHING.)

I was finishing up after a LONG wait at the Department of Motor Vehicles registering my Saturn, and while walking through Marshall's to get outside to the beautiful Spring/Summer weather when I saw what looked like a HUGE Bowl with THICK glass and pretty easy to see through. The price was great $14.99. SOLD. I grabbed it.

That too is now in my car. I am going to have to measure and see how many gallons each holds. I am guessing 2.5 Gallons and 1 Gallon.

I may end up using one to grow my Anubias Coffefolia (did I spell that correctly?) and one for my Hemianthus Micranthemoides. I just suck at aquascaping.

I am lucky at work to water my plants....(ha, ha, ha. Bad joke.)

Sorry for lack of pictures. Kodak was so cool (I think). I got a print out where it seemed like I could return my C330 and get an upgrade to a very nice camera with a decent macro. Of course I need to call to get the final details.... I hope it is in my price range.)

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Well, I just received my FujiFilm S700 today and I am not quite ready to take photos just quite yet until I figure out how the thing works. It is different than a Kodak so it will take some adjusting.

I have started getting my Office Endler Bowls prepared. I am not sure if I will ever be ready to grow Hemianthus Micranthemoides, but I hope I am wrong. One Bowl should have plenty of light. The other may have just enough.

The substrate on one I already know is too deep. But when you want to put a soil underlayer I think it makes it a little harder. Because it is in an office you want it to look EXTRA clean and nice. I bought a brand new bag of Seachem Flourite and I think even with the soil underlayer, I am pretty sure that I will be using the Seachem Daily Dosing just to make sure it gets a jump start.

In the meantime, I am waiting for the water and 'dust' to settle in the larger one before I put it up on my desk. It is large enough that I may be able to do both plants again.

The smaller one I definitely want to try just the HM, just to see if I can do it.

Wish me luck.

81 - 100 of 151 Posts