Aquatic Plant Forum banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is a crab you might like to do some research on it is a red clawed crab Sesarma bidens or Thailand red crab. Seems they are escape artists liking both land and water. They do need to get out of the water some, there are some creative ideas out there for that.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
This tank or Bowl is just pure joy.

The four male Endlers swim around and are very active, I add just a touch of food and the plants and bowl seem to be doing very well with almost no effort at the moment.

I have switched the Galaxy lights between the two Bowls or Vases. I currently have the Palm Light on this one. The lower light seems to be working just fine with the Anubias and Java Fern.

This is due for a new photo soon.

My camera is wonderful. Catching the active Male Endlers in a GOOD photo is hard!

And after Satan's child wiped out my Endlers at home in my 10 Gallon El Naturale Tank, I am happy to report that I discovered 2 males, a female and 2 baby Endler Fry in my 2.5 Gallon in my son's room. In that tank, I do nothing and they just eat the algae. No shortage there. :smile:

Yeah Endlers! (Thank you John N.)

Jimbo205

·
Registered
252 Posts
Jimbo,
my co-worker has a betta bowl at the office. I (sold) her some peacock moss, wondering if it would live. It gets no light other than fluorescent. Additionally, it's near a bank of windows. With all that indirect light, and the waste from the food and betta, the moss really grows. Recently added narrow leaf java moss, and that's doing fine!

Plus as an experiment, I've put brandy glasses with aqua soil and hairgrass on the windowsill at home, to see how it would grow, and with 14-16 hours of indirect light, it grows really well with almost no maintenance from me. And no algae, that's what's nice about this method. Really low tech, very low maintenance.

Just to show you the possiblities!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have heard they are, the petsmart has them here. I saw on one site awhile back where they had some java moss tied to some rope that they had run some wire through to make it stiff and the crabs used that as a way of getting out of the water.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
fredyk, I love it. Thank you for the photo.

joycould, do you have a photo or link of these freshwater crabs?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice betta bowl. Ive always wanted to make one for my fighters, but i never could get around to making it. Any oily water is a pet peve of mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also interested in any updates. I can't believe this thread spans over a couple of years.

Hope to see some new pictures.
James

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
I might do that. I have tried to take pictures with my 4 Endler's (Poecilia Wingei) in the Bowl. The camera could do it, if the fish would stand still..

The Anubias has grown to the point that it is pushing against the glass. If I try to move it, the leaves break. I figure I will let nature take its course and the Anubias will start to grow in a circle around the bowl.

The Java Fern is a java fern and is doing fine.

I don't want to repot this bowl. Takes too much time. But I do try to do water changes sometimes. The magazines say that makes the fish and the plants happy.

I will see what I can do with photos.

Honestly, it is not that much different.

Thank you for asking.

And yes, both I and my aquariums are older now. :smile:

141 - 151 of 151 Posts