Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my gf has decided she wants a small aquarium for her bday. its in september, but i needa start plannin it out now. im thinkin some sort of nice looking vase, not sure about the substrate, but id like it to be white. i want some plants in there but shes not gonna want to ever trim them so i was thinkin some of that lucky bamboo planted and coming up out of the water. them one betta, either purple or yellow. does this idea sound good to yall? any better ideas? o ya and the setup will only get room light and/or light from a window. thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
How about a 2 gallon aquarium ? You can use white aquarium rock , throw in some betta bulbs for plant life thats easy no trim care , as well as some java fern.
If you can find it arachnis is also a good choice.
She does know what kind of upkeep a nano is going to need?

·
Registered
113 Posts
A no trim planted tank java fern, marimo balls, and anubia for plants. Now about the vase it would be nice if you could find a 2 gallon vase. I know wal mart have 1 1/2 gallon vase but the glass is very thin, I have had 2 gallon fish bowls split when moving them so look for some very thick glass.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Naw , java fern doesnt die from low light , no filtration , etc etc. The plants suggested in this thread dont either.
I have used java fern like a like plastic plant before and all it did was grow on me. You want simple and little trouble. Java fern , anubias , and a few others I havent gotten to play with. Betta bulbs pretty much fall in this catigory too , tho dont use them like a plastic plant , they kinda like to stay put.

·
Registered
113 Posts

This is a 2 gallon betta bowl that has a java fern, java moss, anubias, a bit of hornwort, a little crypt and what I think is rotala rotundifolia. The rotala is really the only thing I ever trim. There is some red rooted floater on top that is just starting. The light I use is a desk lamp with a compact fluorescent bulb, no filter and no heater.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is pretty much what i am going for except not as many plants. maybe a big bowl like that with a java fern in the back and swimming/viewing space for the fish in front.

should i just use some pea gravel or would a little bit of flourite be better to plant the java in the back?

would one rcs do well in there or will it die?

·
Registered
113 Posts
The sooner you start the tank the more time you have to make it the way you want it to look.
Also it will give it time to cycle.
My bowl I have on my kitchen table gets about 20 to 30 minutes a day of direct sunlight in the early morning. The only time the desk lamp is on is when we need it.
Get some excel and that keeps away the algae and helps give the plants a boost of co2.
If you get a big 2 gallon bowl like mine be warned don't pick it up full I have had 2 split at the bottom, drain it to at least 1/2 before moving.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well that one I got at a thrift store but I have seen them at the LFS. It is actually cheaper to get a 2.5 gallon tank that a fish bowl on the kitchen table I needed something easily moved.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya but a square tank is too bland for what im tryin to do.

i really wanna have a set up with bamboo comin up out of the base. the bright green of the stalk would contrast well with a white substrate imo. the a bright colored betta would go well in there.

any other choices for fish?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a 2 gallon betta bowl that has a java fern, java moss, anubias, a bit of hornwort, a little crypt and what I think is rotala rotundifolia. The rotala is really the only thing I ever trim. There is some red rooted floater on top that is just starting. The light I use is a desk lamp with a compact fluorescent bulb, no filter and no heater.
Hi joycould,
How often do you change the water wtih this setup?
Also, about how many percent water change do you do each time?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts