Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some guys on my local planted tank forums recommended Marsilea Quadrifolia as the best low-growing ground cover plant for non-CO2 tanks. One thought Marsilea Minuta would be even better but hadn't tried it. What's your experience been?

Which of these CO2/high light ground covers is easiest to grow/maintain? Which grows lowest?

Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides ''Cuba''
Hemianthus micranthemoides

·
Registered
601 Posts
Easiest

1) HM
2) Glosso
3) HC

Lowest

1) HC
2) Glosso
3) HM

The HC will start out lower than Glosso, but may fluff up higher than it over time. HM will grow to the top of the water column if you let it. If you don't trim Glosso & HC they will eventually shade out the lower parts of the plants near the roots and big chunks will eventually float to the top. HM in a low tech tank will creep along the surface and create a ground cover before growing upright. Forget HC unless you have super high light & CO2.

If I were you, I'd start out with HM & a Marselia sp. I've used HM as a background plant before and it looked nice as well as a groundcover.

·
Registered
394 Posts
from my experience glosso does best with co2 and medium-high light. Low light will cause it to grow tall. Marsilea Quadrifolia is pretty nice. It can grow tall and will most likely be like 2-5 inches tall already when you buy it. High light will keep it pretty low.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm partial to the look of UG as it is grassy looking but don't think it would fare too well without CO2 or high lighting.

Craig

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I'm trying the Marsilea minuta right now and am very pleased with it. It has stayed under 3/4" so far and has spread very fast, even in shaded spots.

-Dave

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
davemonkey, under what conditions are you growing the M Minuta? Lights/CO2/ferts/pH/hardness?

Are you getting any taller growth as well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts