Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well were moving in a few months and I have to sell my 75 gallon tank. so yea I have a few people interested, nothing concrete. So if you are in the Lexington area (Kentucky) and want a 75 gallon tank stand and canister filter, let me know. Ok enough with my shameless plug.

I found my old 5.5 gallon tank that I was going to setup a year or two ago just for kicks. The problem is im a dumbass I pulled the

black rims off it to make it look cool or something. after that i stuck it in my attic and forgot about it untill now. so I guess I want to

set up a tank to tide me over till my move. I have a random Jalli 18 watt light that fits the tank perfect, but I have no hood and the

light rests like an inch above the water. now im going to assume we all have the basic reasoning skills of a small child and know water

and electricity don't mix. what should I do? maybe have home depot cut some glass or acrylic to put over it?do they even do that? I

also may just buy that 26 watt desk lamp they supposedly have at home depot, If anyone has pics post em' so I can see what it looks

like, I may go buy one tommorow. also I wnat to put some small really thin branchy wood in it i think its called manitza? driftwood or

womething like that. any information on branchy thin wood would be great. o well just wasting time now, damn insomnia.

well if you have comments and picks post them, ill be up for a while longer

thanks-john

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow guys im gettin the cold shoulder here, anyways in addition to my forementioned questions is the zoomed 502 canister filter to big for a 5.5 gallon should i just buy an hob? decisions

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Some people use crepe myrtle for stems. Do you have any of those nearby?

I would also suggest some type of lid. You can get clear acrylic but they won't cut it. It's pretty easy to score and break. I've not used the desk lights at home depot. I guess the advantage would be that it wouldn't be in your way to plant or clean. I guess it's up to you. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
There are several photos of that Home Depot desk lamp, but when I searched I couldn't find any of them. So, here is a photo of the one I have:

I no longer have that nano tank, but I still have the lamp, just in case I find a use for it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i decided to buy that light today. It cost less than the replacement bulbs at my lfs for my 18 watt fixture, How does it grow the plants? I wonder how much of the light actually makes it in the tank?

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
The light did pretty well on that nano tank - 2.5 gallons. It isn't high light for sure, but it will grow the slower growing plants. The little reflector in it is a joke, so you really only get the light from the small part of the bulbs that can "see" the water. But, it looks pretty good and is certainly cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts