Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 gallon tank and I know that the wpg rule breaks down in tank 10 gallons and under. I have a light with 2x40 watt bulbs(6700k), is it better to go with 4 wpg or 8 wpg. I have done will with my 29 gallon and can control it at 4.5 wpg with no problem. I would like to go with the 8wpg but will it be too hard to control? thanks for you help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd go with 40w, 80w is a bit much. I have 54w over a 12g and growth is quite fast, I wouldn't want to deal with 80w.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is not enough information to answer this question. What plants are you trying to grow? What substrate are you using? Ferts? DIY CO2 or pressurized? Its all about balance. I had 18wpg on my 8 gallon....yes 18wpg and it was fine but I was using some serious equipment as well. More details would help.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have pressurized co2 and I dose the estamative index, substrate eco complete. My plants are a bed of dwarf hair grass. I know balance is the key, if I keep it in line is the 8wpg possible?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Most definitely. I just started up a 10 gallon dwarf hairgrass "grow out" tank. Im running right about 15wpg with pressurized CO2 and ADA ferts. Balance IS the key. It will take you a week or two to figure out how much CO2 and ferts you need. Just keep messing around and you will eventually get it. Also, with hairgrass, keep trimming it. This will make them send out runners so your tank fills in quicker.

The first pic is my little 8 gallon that had 18wpg, pressurized, and ADA ferts in its early stages.
Once you have hairgrass filled in, then you can let it grow tall and lush. The second picture shows my tank near its final stages. As you can see, its nice and green and lush. Dont be afraid to go with the 8wpg!!! It did take me about a month or so to get everything dialed in to where there was no algae. Good luck!!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Screenname, are you using a metal halide fixture for this tank? I have an ada 30c (7gal) and I am only using 4 watts per gallon and I think I can get 8 watts per gallon over it but any more than that and I'd have to go MH. I am just curious what kind of fixture you are using?

·
Registered
145 Posts
2x65 PCs on top and a little 2x9 coralife in the rear. If I had a 30-C, I would go with a little 70w MH. That would be perfectttttt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to the op for the thread jack... Screename, I will definitely consider that, I think I saw one at Home Depot for outdoor lighting that I could rig up as a pendant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts