Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to start a nano, what are some ideal plant choices, in your opinion? It will house a single male betta, likely a red one, as those are my favorite. A ground cover is nice, but I want him to have to stems to swim through and hide in if he feels he needs to. What should I look into aside from HC and perhaps Rotala Mini?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Depends on how nano you wanna go, but with C. balansea and Valisneria torta/asiatica you can create nice arches that will dim the light a little and give him shelter.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Vallisneria and C balansae grow to be over two feet long. Anubias nana petite is a popular nano plant. Most any stem plant can be kept if you prune it often enough, but stem plants with very thin stems and very thin needle like leaves would be less obtrusive. Plants like Didiplis, Ludwigia arcuata, Mayaca, Rotala nanjenshan. H. micranthemoides is an alternative to HC, or it can also grow upright.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Robert. When the time comes for me to begin my nano escapade, I'll be ordering a lot from you, as I've always been very satisfied with your business. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
You could use some of the small hydrocotyle. Also some micranthemum umbrosum is kinda nice. In my tank its very bright green.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I just got some lindernia anagallis and it is a beautiful plant and so far stays pretty small. I have had it for a few weeks and it is about 5 inches tall. It was about 4 inches when I got it but has filled in a lot with side shoots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look out for Pogostemon helferi gorgeous little plant looks a bit like a lettuce between 2-10cm or 0.5-4in not sure of your US measurements hence both ways. Grows well in sandy or fine gravel substrate it has creeping roots and does'nt seem to fussy about intensity of light.

·
Registered
129 Posts
rotala mini's type 1 and type 2 are nice nano plants

their coloration on the top depends on your lighting, but the bottoms of their leaves are always a nice reddish/pink color

same with limnophila sp. mini, under the right conditions it'll get tinges of red

1 - 10 of 10 Posts