Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic of my 40 gallon cube. Any advice on scaping it would be appreciated. Haven't quite made up my mind on style and just enjoying the collectoitius phase. Thinking of eventually narrowing down the species by getting rid of the blxya, val, cambomba and lobelia. I want to just have some eustralis, glosso, e. tenellus and moss. I also like the use of large rocks in the "zen" style. Oh well, too many choices so need your help in narrow it down. Thanks in advance.

Tank Specs
230 w PC (2x55, 2x65) for 11hrs
(thinking of adding another 110 watts PC, I like bright tanks)
Presurized CO2
Flourite substrate w/ Tetra laterite additive mixed into bottom layer
1ml Flourish trace and 1 ml Flourish Fe daily.
Filstar X3 w/ only foam blocks, no chem filtration.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I would aggre about the light. You already have 5.75 wpd of PC! :shock:
You could also up your dosing of FLourish, trace and Fe. Check out Tsunami's thread about "Dispelling the Myths" He doses something like 21 ml of each a week. I dose what you are in a 10 gallon with 4.5 watts NO florescent. I bet you will be amazed how much better your growth will get with just half what he doses:) Looing good so far, from what I could make out at least :wink: Love to see a bigger pic.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've always wanted to create a 3 side viewing tank or a 4 side with a cube. That cube looks like it might be big enough for that. Here is my idea. You get 3 good looking rocks. Place them in the golden ratio. And create a mound of stem plants in the center of the tank. That way you can see the tank from all sides. I'm not sure how possible it is to have a focal point from all 4 sides. But i think from the most looked at view you could set the Eusteralis in the thirds position. Then place green plants around it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a bigger pic of the second side of the tank. Thanks for the advice given so far.

Dennis: Would increasing the dosing be harmful to shrimp? I currently have amano, cherry, rainbow and tiger shrimp and plan on adding more. Heard that to high a fert dose can be fatal. Any insights?

Shane: That is what I was thinking of going for. Something like the Oliver Knott tank of the month but more centralized to take advantage of the cube shape. Now just need to get the eustralis or something similar to use as a focal and some craggy rocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
PSI,

Its looing good so far:). Thanks for the bigger pic.

I am not sure about the fert levels with shrimp. Never had shrimp. I would assume though that with regular water changes you should be fine. Remember, The reason I am suggesting more ferts is that with that much light and CO2 your plants will probably become deficient of one, or several, nutrients very quickly. Do you test for anything? Wiht that much light you will probably use up P and N in only a couple of days, not to mention trace elements. Correct dosing, even if you increase from your current levels, will never reach a level where they would be toxic to anything, IMO. Once again, I don't know about shrimp, but your nutrient levels should not be higher than anyone else's, you will just have to dose more(or more often) to keep up with the plant growth.

Hopefully someone wiht shrimp will chime in here:)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
For starters, I would take out the floating mass in the upper right and give that java moss a good trimming --it looks messy right now. :)

Carlos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts