Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a furry growth on some of my red stem plants. I assume it's algae. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should fight this algae or what to do to get rid of it? Right now I have my tank on a light schedule like this: 11AM-1PM / BREAK 1PM-3PM / 3PM-10PM. Is this a good idea? :confused:

Here are some pictures to help...

Thank you everyone!

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips! Here is some more info: I am using Aquariumplants.com's "TOTAL" Substrate fert pellets that I inject into our substrate about once a month. For Lighting I am using two 65W Coralife Deluxe Lamps (48"). As far as CO2 I have a full setup using a drop checker and a electronic pH checker (I keep the pH at 6.7-6.8) As far as bpm I have it set at about 1.5 bpm. I also do have some mollies and 2 algae eaters and even some algae eating shrimp. I hope this info helps and I hear from you again! Thanks again for the advice!

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the smiley face - I meant to say 6.8 pH lol

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I have a 55 Gallon Tank.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should I get a different kind of bulb for my fixture in order to get better light? Right now I just have the two stock 65W 45" Bulbs...

Also I have some ground cover towards the front but it never grows! Is this because I need more light?

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alrighty thank you for all your advice! I went out and bought 5 otto catfish this morning and put them in the tank and I already have 8 Platys and 4 Mollies. I also boosted my CO2 and my pH is down to 6.5 - Now, how low can my pH go until it starts to become unsafe for my fish? Right now my fish still seem fine swimming at all levels of the tank, how much more can I drop my pH due to CO2? Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.