Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Just got into it because of wifey. I have been reefing for 7 years, as I have maintained 150+ systems to nano 6g sizes with success.
As I was reading more information as to keeping a planted aquarium CO2 is the main chemical/ingredient to success... I am going to try my hands on a small 2g type aquarium. What are the recommendations? I have read of the DIY method of mixing water, yeast, and sugar... Which sounds good, but how long do I keep that on? As I was intending of mixing it using a bottle, and fed directly my from pump via tube. The other options seem a bit expensive for a 2g type.
What are other people'e recommendations out there? Is dosing effective?
Is the "carbo-plus" method effective, and worth every penny?

Every info helps. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Carbo plus has not been found to be a good product by virtually everyone who I have seen comment on it. In a 2 gallon tank it would be very visible too. I used Excel when I had a tank about that size, and it was effective, but the plants grew very slowly compared to my big tank. I found that everything you use with a tank that size is so big compared to the tank that it dominates the view. I ended up using a heater that is a flat rubber plate you can bury in the substrate to keep it nearly invisible - it worked well too. I finally gave the tank away at a SAPS meeting when I found I wasn't going to do the required maintenance often enough to keep it looking good.

I hope we see you at the meeting Tuesday night, the 4th.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts