Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have struggled with the current temp of my tank.....88 Deg. I am looking to be a few degrees lower but dont want a goofy fan hanging over my tank or dropping ice cubes in at a daily rate. My tek light is a 6 lamp 324 watt T5HO. My heater doesnt even click on due to my light emitting so much heat. The black substrate probably doesnt help either. I want good growth so i hate to move my light any higher then the 12 inches that it hangs from the water surface. I would like advice from anyone with a similar setup and keeps high light plants. Lighting schedule is 4 on 12-10 and the other 2 on from 2-5. What are your lighting schedules? Burst or all on?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I used to have fans on all of my tanks but after getting rid of all but three of them I decided to get a Prime Inline 1/15hp chiller. My plants and shrimp couldn't be happier plus I don't have any problems with evaporation anymore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like advice from anyone with a similar setup and keeps high light plants. Lighting schedule is 4 on 12-10 and the other 2 on from 2-5. What are your lighting schedules? Burst or all on?
Regarding cooling, is your tank covered? if so, get topless!

Regarding lighting schedules, half my lights are on from 1p-1a, the other half from 5p-11p. Bright at mid day. I like this schedule a lot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not keep glass tops on it. After years of cleaning and scraping them its so nice going topless. I figured the light would penitrate alot better as well. I looked at chillers and seeing the cheapest one being over $200, I'm very glad that winter is coming and that should bring my temp to the desired 86 deg. The only thing that isnt faring well with 88 deg besides my plants are my amano schrimp. I purchased 7 at $3 a piece which was resonable because they were enormous. As far as plants suffering, my java moss and crypts are groeing very slow. I have a lot of driftwood which i would like to cover in moss. Just going to have to wait. Any mosses out there that can handle high light and temp?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts