Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a plant to carpet my foreground that only grows to a maximum hieght of 1 cm. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
The only plant I can think of that could be kept that short (with some very constant trimming) is Hemianthus callitricoides. (AKA dwarf baby tears)

-Dave

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
HC is a bear to keep rooted when first planted, and can take time to acclimate to a new tank.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I think your lighting may be too low for HC also. (Did I see that right...13watts on a 12gal? )

You could try Marsilea minuta. It does well in low-light and gets about 1" tall, makes a thick carpet. I'd show you a close-up pic of mine, but it has some algae on it (rather embarrassing) . Here's a link to my journal. I'm not sure, but I think the best pics of it are on pages 10 or 11 (I can't see my own pics from my work computer) . Marsilea is in the foreground, left side (in front of the large chunck of wood) :

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?p=440869#post440869

-Dave

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am not trying to hijack your thread but I also have had no luck with HC in 125 gal. at 3.5 watts per gal and I dose EI method using dry fertz. Every time I get it, it is in emmersed form and never seems to acclimate, it always melts for me. I have grown glosso HM and currently trying elatine triandra which is looking good so far. Glosso and HM took off like crazy. Damn HC, I want it so bad and I can't grow it.

So in light of that if you are having trouble with HC I would try glossostigma and keep it trimmed well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts